1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Single Channel Class D Power Amp???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by patas75, Dec 7, 2012.

1. patas75

patas75 Supporting Member

Is there a single channel class D power amp the size of an MB800 other than the SWR? Since I really like the sound of my Tone Hammer over my AG500 I would like to couple it with a power amp and run it in to my ML112 cab. I am saving up to get a second ML112 so the power amp will have to power both cabs. I'm thinking in the 650w @ 4ohms and 350w @ 8ohms.

Yes I know there are the Crown and Peavey amps that are 1 or 2 rack spaces but I would prefer to have something smaller to keep the size of the rig down.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Stating the obvious here, but why not just get a Tone Hammer 500? Cost would probably be similar to finding a power amp that fits your wants.

3. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff

smaller than 1u? ok ...

I've got this class D power amp that's 1kw into 4 ohms and is about 1u, 1/2 rack.

It's a Vestax power amp. Was on sale online for cheap and it works great.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Does the Tone Hammer have an effects send jack? Use that to feed the effects return of the AG500 = 500 watt power amp and nothing to buy but a (instrument) cable. (You could also do this with a G-K MB500 or MB800 as the slave amp).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You're on the right track--the TH pedal doesn't have or need an "fx send" jack, but its regular output will go to the fx return jack on the AG, and results will probably be good.

7. patas75

I've thought about using the AG500 as slave amp but it's almost 20 lbs as opposed to 5lb class D amp. Also I had the TH500 and the tone is slightly different. I prefer the Tone Hammer over the TH500. Also I'm finding the input on the TH500/AG500 is too sensitive. I have it set at 8 o'clock with the pad in and I overload the input with my Spector. I don't have that issue with the Tone Hammer.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Too bad about all these active basses with super hot outputs. It seems a lot of folks have issues with too much gain from them going into their amps; I could easily live without the input pad on my Tone Hammer 500. I have yet to get the amp to light it's clip indicator no matter how hard I play my basses, all great sounding passive instruments, and I have never gotten anywhere close to cranking the amp it is so loud. :bassist:

Can you reduce the gain, internally, of the Spector preamp (or, just turn the volume control down on it)? The Tone Hammer preamp pedal and the Tone Hammer 500 have pretty much identical front ends (barring the superior Drive function of the amp vs. the AGC circuit in the pedal) so I am surprised you find the sound that different between them. What are you currently running the pedal into for power?

9. patas75

I mainly use the Tone Hammer to rehearse so run it to my computer through an Apogee Duet and out to M-Audio BX8a monitors. It's been a while since I had the TH500 but it was a slightly different tone but it could be the difference of going out monitors vs. a bass cab. I didn't think about lowering the preamp on the Spector. Thanks