single cut bolt on 5er build - advice and thoughts appreciated.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BarkerBass, Sep 20, 2012.

1. BarkerBass

BarkerBass

Hello tb!

The building bug has struck me again and my eye has fallen upon my Yamaha bb605. My trusted old 5er has served me well for years and gone through some serious mods but I've decided to take it one step further and build it a whole new (single cut) body.

Because of money constraints and the availability of wood in this country (very hard to find) I've had to build the bass from planks of Ash bought from a furniture shop and so the bass will need a solid coloured finish as the planks look ugly as heck. My aim for this project is to create a tone like an ibanez btb556, barts, like a super jazz tone, big and ballsy.

This is a concept I've been playing through my head for a few months now and my phone has helped me try and work on some ideas. Here comes a lot of crap quality phone photoshop work to see the colour options. Bare with me in that this is a rough design and not a very good show of what I have in mind.

This is the initial photoshop mockup I made (when i hoped for a natural wood finish)
    [​IMG]
    single cut, pickups enclosed in a ramp - yamaha bb605 neck and bridge
    double cut version (just incase the single cut doesn't work out well.
    [​IMG]

and this is the most recent version:
    [​IMG]
    solid sonic blue, bartolini double coil soapbars, no ramp, east pro preamp

Here are some phone made colour mock ups, thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am under no illusions that this will be a high class build, my builds are usually functional at best, my main concerns are tone and playability (including balance) and I'm hoping to improve the tone with the electronics and the neck plays great anyway so that shouldn't be too hard.

anyway, enough rambling, what do you think?

Cheers, BB
  2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

For colors, personally I like the last three and the one that says "most recent version".
  3. BarkerBass

BarkerBass

Cheers, I think the light blue is winning out for me too currently, especially since I like satin finishes and pastel colours work well in satin
  4. kris pung

kris pung

I like the creamish colored one with the pickguard.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BarkerBass

BarkerBass

The Pickguard was an idea I had but not one I fancy going ahead with, I think I prefer non-fender style basses without pickguards but I will admit that white with a tort guard does bring out the traditionalist in me
  7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Purple. With a white pearl pickguard.
  8. BarkerBass

BarkerBass

I might try mock this up.

For me this bass has to be classy as I play weddings and church services often so it needs to be classy and cool without being stand outish
  9. BarkerBass

BarkerBass

SO I've been a slow but busy bunny!

With working in my friends workshop I can only work when he is in and he has been away for about a month but today I got in with him and got the neck pocket routed and some of the contours started! Pictures will follow but the neck fits and the single cut bolt on idea took a bit of chisel work and careful carving but it works and the neck fits while looking single cut from the front.

Next will be the electronics routs and lots of planing to cut all the contours and shave off the excess wood from my rather "safe" band saw cutting of the body shape.

Photos to follow soon.
  10. BarkerBass

BarkerBass

11. LukeFRC

LukeFRC

you're not wrong when you say you picked some awfull bits of wood there andy! You going to recolour the headstock too?
  12. BarkerBass

BarkerBass

updates coming soon, just gotta get all my photos from my phone, the bass is finished,except the finishing... so all fitted together, working, wired up, beautiful to play and sounding great just no finishing sanding done yet and not yet decided on a colour
  13. BarkerBass

BarkerBass