Single Lower Note Octave Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RockinRelic, Feb 16, 2014.

1. RockinRelic

RockinRelic

Can anyone suggest an octave pedal that will simply kick the note being played, down one octave, without multiple harmonics ?

I'm looking for a deeper sound when playing a four-string, without down-tuning or ... playing a five string.

Thanks for any guidance !

2. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Let's see... Aguilar Octamizer, EBS Octabass, MXR BOD...

3. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    A lot of octave pedals do this. The EH POG, EBS Octabass, Aguilar Octamizer, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe just to name a few... They all have separate octave down (generated) note volume control as well as the clean unaffected bass signal volume control.

Now, if you were hoping for an octave down tone that sounds exactly like your bass guitars tone, I'm afraid you're out of luck! They are all 'synthesized' tones (either analog or digital) that will sound different than a true instrument sound. Some sound more 'natural' or 'organic' than others (Aguilar and EBS for example) but none of them truly sound like a bass guitar without mixing in some of your clean signal.

4. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

That's what I use my octave pedal for. I recommend the Octron..has a fizzy upper octave too but you can just turn it down if you only want the phat lower one (there is a trim pot inside to adjust the tone of the lower octave as well)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RockinRelic

RockinRelic

Thanks very much for all the good advice.

7. RockinRelic

RockinRelic

8. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

9. RockinRelic

RockinRelic

Fox Rox Rocks !

The pedal is a beast ... built like a tank and puts out the purest tones.

10. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Why not get a whammy pedal? I use the whammy IV and hope to upgrade to the new bass whammy soon. Whammy pedals can do pitch bend (like a octave without the dry note), they can do octave harmony (dry note with octave) along with some chorus type sounds using the shallow and deep settings. You can actually get a lot of cool sounds out of whammy pedals without ever touching the expression pedal. In fact i rarely ever touch the expression pedal on my whammy4. I'm wanting the new bass whammy for its better tracking and 4th settings. A forth down basically retunes your bass one string down so you low g for example is on the same fret but it's moved one string over. Which is cool of your playing a 4 string but occasionally want a low b string. I probably wouldn't use it in the studio. In the studio id buy the appropriate strings and just set up and retune the bass but for live use why not. It's not like the PA systems i play through are best money can buy anyways.

11. RockinRelic

RockinRelic

That's a great suggestion ... I'll be giving it a try soon. Thanks !

12. takfar

takfar