1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Single Malt Scotch!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tombowlus, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, I have on more than one occassion unintentionally derailed a perfectly fine gear thread to mention how comparing different, but equally excellent gear is akin to comparing single malt scotches. So, I thought it might make some sense to set up this thread, and then just link to it whenever I (or others) get side tracked thinking about these fine spirits!

I will start by saying that I like a variety of single malts, and I appreciate almost all of them. But, the variation between different single malts is really quite astounding, and there are always particular products which will have greater appeal to a given individual. I tend to prefer the Islay malts, and Lagavulin 16 yr. is a constant stable in my liquor cabinet.

Laphroaig is an occassional deviation from Lagavulin, and I have found myself spending a lot of time with The Balvenie 12 yr. Doublewood of late. Other scotches that I generally have on hand include: Oban (gotta have a bottle of Oban in the house!), Talisker, Dalwhinnie, The Macallan, and I still have some Glenfiddich 18 yr. Ancient Reserve which I am tring to milk along for as long as I can.

I'm sure I'll have more to add as we go on, but perhaps this will get things going.

Discuss!

Tom.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Single malts are great. I've got a 10 year Laphroaig standing right beside my computer. Dalwhinnie's my current favourite among the ones I've tried so far, though. Unfortunately I'm on a tight budget, so I can't try out as many different ones as I'd like to - liquor is EXPENSIVE in this country.

3. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

I'm coming to your house. :D

My fave is Cragganmore these days, but that's subject to change..:p

Anyone else tried the Glen Breton, made on Cape Breton Island? They're not allowed to call it 'Scotch' but it's pretty dang tasty. Reminiscent of the highland malts.

4. oddio

oddio

Indeed it is, and brewed in fine scottish tradition.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

I did sound at their official product launch event (read party). They gave me a bottle of the first run. Probably should have kept it, but I drank it.:D

Did Cardhu really eat through your tile? :eek:
    I dropped a full glass of it on a hardwood floor back in April. The glass was crystal so it went into a million pieces, what a mess. I lamented the loss of the scotch more than the loss of the crystal tumbler though....

I haven't been able to find any Cardhu lately.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
  8. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

I'm not much of a scotch drinker, but I got a bottle of Knockando as a gift and I quite like a sip of it now and then. It says Speyside on the bottle, I assume this is geographical reference.

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Laphroaig, Balvenie, The Macallan, my pub has them all, and a ton more, you want to try Edradour, made in the smallest distillary in scotland and is just amazing, if i still drank i'd have a few nips of that on a night out :)

10. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    I'll keep an eye out for that. Any leads on where a Yank might find some of that fine elixir?

Tom.

11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Ill get the details at work tomorrow, ill take a pic of our fine selection aswell ;)

Im afraid you might have some trouble getting it, its pretty hard to get a hold of over here! Tis good tho, most balanced malt we have, everything is just right :)

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Balvenie is my all time favorite.

The 21 yr old double cask is incredible.....

13. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    I have a good friend who is originally from England (St. Albans), and he does get over from time to time. He has brought me back some special "Distiller's Edition" Lagavulin, which is really nice. Perhaps I can have him look for some Edradour the next time he comes over.

Tom.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Tom, I can't imagine why we haven't got together yet! I'm a big Scotch fan, although I haven't tried as many as you. My favorite is actually the rather pedestrian Glenlivet. I also have some Laphroig handy, and like it (in small quantities). I've heard many a tale of Lagavulin, but haven't got the chance to try it yet. I also enjoy Glenfiddich and had The Macallen once which I liked quite a bit. I started with scotches quite after trying Chivas Regal, which remains my favorite blend.

15. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    The next time my wife and kids leave the house for an evening, I'll have to drag you over to sample fine spirits and bass gear! We haven't even touched on single barrel bourbons, martini vodka, tequila, or cognac! Not to mention homebrews, fine wine and - one of my true passions - hot sauce! :D

16. cheezewiz

LOL...I'm a plebe. I pretty much stick with Crown Royal if it is anything other than scotch or beer.

P.S. Don't invite Cole. He drinks some awful concoction known as
    "Jager bombs" It makes him think he can score with college chicks ;)

17. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

I'm definitely coming to your house!

:p

18. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

All this mention of fine scotch's (which I am quite fond of), and NOTHING about its ultimate compliment.....

.....a Connecticut Shade wrapped Monte Cristo Double Corona???? (or similar tasty smoke with at least a 50 ring gauge)

:eyebrow:

For shame, gentlemen, for shame..... :bag:

:smug:

19. cheezewiz

Oh ya, cigars go without saying, although I find the Domincan Montes too light for my tastes. The Monte Afriques are damn good though.

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

depends on what I'm drinking actually....lighter smoke for more robust drinks...and vice versa, but I certainly agree w/ you Cheez on the darker Monte's

21. Halftooth

Halftooth

What makes Laphroaig so desired?
    I met some Scots at a Pub near my house that insisted I try it, but to me it tasted a bit too "pitty" if that makes sense. Maybe it because I'm still a noob to Scoth drinking, but I'm a fan of Chivas, Glenlivet, and Glenfiddich right now.
    Great thread topic by the way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.