1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Single pickup basses you like

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edpal, Feb 16, 2014.

1. edpal

edpal This one, she's not just another pretty face. Gold Supporting Member

I recently got an Ibby ATK305 - It has the one "CAP" curved dual humbucker. I have an ATK805E which is virtually identical, but has two pickups. Surprise, surprise - I like the single pickup ATK more. It seems like the effect of moving my plucking from bridge to neck pickup "sweet spot" is more noticeable on the 305 (single pickup, bridge) and it just sounds bassier. Anyone else have a single they really like? And here I was going to route this out for a second pickup - ain't happening.:bassist:
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I hear pbasses are pretty popular.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

My Spector NS-5. It has a very unique sound and I love it. It's a cross between classic Spector and a Wal. Not the best slapper, but that's fine because I don't slap much and when I do I just can't do it on any 5 string :)

[​IMG]
  4. edpal

Not sure they classify as single pickup, as they are split and juxtaposed to hit two different areas. But hey, I'd agree, they are very popular. I suppose I should have specified "single position" :)
  5. garp

garp

Say what you will about Randy Jackson, but this single pickup instrument yielded some pretty sweet tones during his stint with Journey. Thus started my fascination with ‘Rays and Sterlings...

[​IMG]
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Definitely a Stingray and a Pbass if you count it as a single pickup.
  7. Walmark

Walmark

It's my first day on here and at risk of overexposing my 66 Tbird, it's a cracker

[​IMG]
  8. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

That randy jackson bass is cool. I never got into that style of rock but if he was in a succesful band he was doing something rite. I curious you mentioned say whst you will about him. Is he a guy on the news alot or just becsuse he plays a poke a dotted bass.
  9. Mark_70

Mark_70

Favorite single pick-up bass would have to be a Stingray.
    Regards
    Mark
  10. inate_hex

inate_hex

EBMM Bongo H. I have a HH model too for more versatility, but the single H just sounds fantastic. It is the bass that I use live.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Stingray...nothing like it for me. As mentioned above, P-bass too.
  12. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Stingray for sure. I also like the Ibby ATK because you can get a wide variety of tones out of it with only one pickup.
  13. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

You can't post enough pics of that bass. I have a bass being built with a single Lollar T bird pup in the same spot as the 60's t bird but with a solid flat top Les Paul body. I also like my single pickup Guild B 301 and of course my beloved EB1. Single pickup basses are kick a*s!
  14. garp

garp

Not to derail the thread, but here in the States, Randy is probably better-known as a judge on the American Idol television program than he is as an incredibly-talented bass player. Similarly, few people realize that Darryl Jones had amassed a rather impressive curriculum vitae in the musical world before he decided to take a “day job” with The Rolling Stones.
  15. edpal

You guys realize you are building a whole new sub-genre of basses for me to GAS over.:help:
  16. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Single pup Thunderbirds!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    [​IMG]

These. 89 SR5 and 93 SR4. Keepers and they fit me so well for everything I do musically.
  18. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

19. msact

msact Supporting Member

My 1981 G&L L1000. Plays and sounds as good as it looks.

[​IMG]
  20. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy Supporting Member

I like the Ibanez Gary Willis signatures.