1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Singlecut fiver

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Nov 10, 2012.

1. MPU

MPU

Just finished my latest. I have always thought that singlecuts are all somehow ugly. Well, now I made one for myself. I like small bodies and smallish upper bouts so here it is.
    Neck-thru, 7-piece maple/ovangkol laminate with ovangkol/maple tone block, ovangkol fretboard. Body wings lightweight Khaya core, walnut facings.
    ETS tuner/bridge, Steinberger head piece. 34" scale. 10-coil Walish pickup, passive volume control with 1M pot. Nitro satin finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sound clip at http://maihinnousu.net/s/17969

Marko
  2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Walnut's a beautiful wood for an instrument. Looks brilliant. Sounds like it, too, very wide sound spectrum there. Personally, I would've hardwired a tone cap and a 500K resistor in parallel to take the edge off the tone, but this sounds great regardless.
  3. MPU

MPU

I've been making these multicoil pickups for a while. I've cast them in plastic, used steel poles and ceramic or neo magnets but this time I used alnico5 magnets and a fiber plate base. This is the fastest and easiest way to make these so far. It takes over five hours to make one from the beginning. I'm planning to have the bobbin plates and base plates laser cut. That would take an hour out of the time. These are very time consuming compared to single-coils or humbuckers.

[​IMG]
  4. mc_muench

mc_muench

That pickup is beautiful!!!

and so is the bass, I normally dont like single cuts either but this would works!!!
  5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I would love to hear and try one of these. I think if I ever figure out how to wire up an accurate digital counter to my winder, I may have to try making one. Hope you post sound clips Marko.
    Very Cool!!!
  6. Puavo

Puavo

There's a link to a sound clip at the bottom of Marko's first post.

Sounds good, well done!
  7. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Your design and workmanship are excellent. A beautiful, sleek and classy bass.
  8. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish

That's absolutely stunning
  9. wraub

wraub

Also not usually a single-cut fan, but this looks nice.

wraub