SIT Power Wound Review?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Oct 17, 2010.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Anyone who is currently using these strings care to give me a review of what they think of them. I'd love to hear about overall sound, feel, tension, and longevity.

I had some one time, but sold the bass that I put them on before they were even broken in. I'd like to know what you guys think as I'm looking for a new brand to switch to. I have been using Dunlops, and really loved them, but they seem to be wearing out quicker on me.

2. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

Jack Bruce loves 'em....

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I used to use them and I loved them on my G&L for sure. I just eventually started trying different strings and never went back to the SIT's even though I didn't really like any of the strings I tried better than the SIT's until I found Dunlops which to me is the holy grail of all the strings I've tried. However now since there was such a long time since I had SIT's I want to try them against the Dunlops now.

4. madbassplaya

i am thinking about making an order and trying them. my local guy sells them, but 30 bucks a pack is ridiculous to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Atlanta Dave

Atlanta Dave Supporting Member

I have SIT Semiflat Bass Silencers medium-light 045-105 on my Jazz and Precision Spcl Calif. Series and they are great for me. Good feel and stay in tune. I can't give a tone comparison but these hold up well. I paid 18 bucks at Atlanta Bass Gallery but they've been on for a year. Give owner Jim Rubin a call, he posts bass seminars here on TB and is a class act.

7. Atlanta Dave

Atlanta Dave Supporting Member

Make that owner Jim Rubio (spell check!)

8. mmbongo

Yeah I think they're like $14 at JustStrings.

9. madbassplaya

think i'll make an order soon...

10. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

I just put a set on Gibson SB400 and I am pleased with them. The tension feels somewhere between DR sunbeams and d'adario XL nickels. And they sound pretty good to me. Bright and warm, which sounds strange but they are very full sounding. And I am impressed by how well they live up to thier name, they stay in tune suprisingly well. I bought them at my local guit store for 18 beans. Try them.

11. Pilson_fan

Pilson_fan

Great strings! The Powerwounds have a really nice growl to them, and they bend easily. Plus, they seem to last a long time. BTW, has anyone tried the Dave Ellefson signature Powerwounds?

12. Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Got a set of the SIT 45-105 Power Wound Nickels for Xmas and absolutely love them!

Beautiful balance between brightness and warmth, with a strong thump and growl.

Me like!

13. mmbongo

Zombie Thread!

Man it's weird to look back at the things I was saying 3 years ago :)

Needless to say, Dunlops are no longer my Holy Grail, and I'm not sure there IS such a thing.

But I did recently get come custom SIT sets from Jason at Bass Strings Online, and they are great strings. Nice and snappy like D'Addario, but long enough to work on a 35' scale (D'Addario does not currently sell Super Long singles).

If SIT had a .135, I would use them more often.

14. madbassplaya

Same here. lol

The SIT's fit a 35 inch scale for you?

15. Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Ed_in_NE_Ohio

FYI, I have a 34" scale bass with a four-on-a-side headstock, and I snipped-off less than an inch on the G-string when stringing.