Site reading ?

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by lasdisc, Jan 29, 2014.

1. lasdisc

lasdisc

The ? is based on the section called sight reading intervallically from your website.
    You say to find the key sig then choose a scale in that key sig. What is the reason to choose a particular scale when you are just reading the notes in the piece of music? What does the scale have to do with the printed notes? Since the example you give is in "A maj" you said to pick any of the A based modes. What do you do once you pick a scale and what is the connection with the scale to the piece of music?
    How does reading "intervallically" help you sight read better? Your site is great just sometimes I wish it were explained in easier terms for the beginner to understand!
    Thank you very much
    Lasdisc
  2. adamnitti

adamnitti

hi lasdisc-

thanks for your post! i am assuming you have a link from my old website's lessons page. i believe the article you are referring to came from that site originally.

the intervallic sight reading concept is more of way to read more efficiently when you are reading a piece of music that doesn't include a lot of accidentals. it is not intended to be a complete solution for sight reading… instead it is something that can help you navigate lines a little easier according to their shape/contour. the reason that i refer to the major scale is because that is the scale that will contain all of the notes within the key signature. for example, if the piece of music you were reading had the key signature 'c major', the c major scale would contain all of the notes within that key. (c, d, e, f, g, a, b). if the key signature was 'a major', then the a major scale (a, b, c#, d, e, f#, g#) would include the notes from that key. once again, this does not reflect the accidentals that might be in the music - just the notes that are going to be in the key by default. assuming that the range of the piece of music fits into the hand position of a major scale or a derivative mode from that major scale, then you can use that pattern and your muscle memory to help you navigate the line. of course, this requires that you have the pattern memorized and can identify intervallic jumps within that pattern from having worked on it before. that is essentially a summary of the strategy. let me know if you still have any questions and i'll try and elaborate further.