1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Situations that create a soundtrack

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Nov 15, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

One morning I was walking through the tenderloin in San Francisco at 4:30 AM. This is probably the worst addict infested neighborhood in San Francisco, usually loud, busy and dangerous. But it was too late for the night owls and too early for the morning people. It had been raining and I could hear my footsteps echo off my surrroundings as I walked along . There were only a few people out on the street cleaning up. I started hearing Jimi's "The Wind Cries Mary" in my head. I think the line "A broom is wearily sweeping up the broken pieces of yesterday's dreams" started it going. Unlike other times I got a song stuck in my head that I actually like. It became my own personal soundtrack that morning. Anything like that ever happen to you?

2. PWRL

PWRL

It has. My family has a large chunk of property out in Iowa, and I was with my brother-in law, half-drunk, looking for his dog in the middle of the night. There's a lot of space to cover out there, a dirt/rock road and a lot of woods. "Rocking Chair" by The Band was going through my head, and I felt for a while like I was back in the 19th century, looking for a lost cow or something.

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

That used to be how I'd write all my original music: I'd go out for a walk or a bike ride at night, and just keep going until a new phrase or hook popped into my head. Then I'd just keep walking/biking while developing the tune, replaying it in my mind over & over again, until I had it fleshed out reasonably completely and knew it well enough that I could document it...at which point I'd hurry home and jot it down before I could forget it.

That all kinda stopped when I started to study composition "seriously" ...but, in hindsight, I should probably start doing it again, just for the meditative aspect.

4. slobake

I always carry a pad and pencil with me. Yeah I'm old school other people probably have some sort of electronic device that they carry with them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thrust Meatnozl

Thrust Meatnozl

Unfortunately every time I build a fire I get Disco Inferno stuck in my head. :(

My apologies if it's now stuck in yours.

7. slobake

:eek: I'd extract my revenge with a Justin Bieber song if I knew any.

8. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

A song goes through me head for almost every situation that I am in.