1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Six String Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbroom, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

I want a six string bass. I don't need a six string bass.

My main basses are a G&L L2500 Tribute and a Bongo 5HS. The former has flats; the latter has rounds. I'm in my late 40s and play in a power trio that has a Soundgarden vibe.

I don't want to spend a ton (over $2k) and don't want to cheap out (sub $600). Ideally, I'm thinking around $1k to $1.5k. I'm open to buying used.

Any specific suggestions?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    +1 and you can probably get a great deal used, but it will be more fun to get one built to your specs and it will still be in your price range.
    www.carvin.com

4. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

Carvin seems like a solid, and one of the only, choices in my price range.

7. Goteky45

Goteky45

schecter stilleto studio 6. Very well built and has a great sound

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

I've seen some very affordable Bongo 6's as of late.
    Getting past the looks, they play and sound damn good...

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

This is way below your price range, but my local GC (Carle Place NY) has a new Ibanez GSR206 for $200. It's normally $300. Maybe a good place to start to see if you like it. If not, it shouldn't be hard to sell. I played it and it sound great, but I don't play sixers and the string spacing is tight.

It would suck if you spent over a grand, realized immediately it's not for you, and then got stuck with it.

10. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

I bought a brice fretless 6 because I didn't know if I wanted to play a fretless, or a 6.

I love the sound of this bass. The on-board 2 band is useable, but I usually keep it flat and adjust the balance. It came perfectly set up, with labella flats. Great fundamentals, silky smooth. I've got my eye on the defiant 6 now. Damn that gas.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitar6.html

[​IMG]

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

If you can find a used MTD KZ6 out there. In fact I think there may be ine in the classifieds. I am on my phone so I cant post the link but look in there and check it out. I have a KZ5 great bass.

12. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

At last check, there were some used Elrick Gold 6string classics in the classifieds. Pretty near the top of your price range but incredibly well made, hand-carved basses by Rob Elrick in Chicago. These had wenge necks, for some reason two different TB'ers selling the same bass at the same time. That's great for a buyer. Don't know if they're both still avail, think one was going to ebay.

13. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

14. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking through the classifieds. It would be great if there was a way to easily filter out non-sixers in the search. I put up a wanted ad, so maybe some folks will contact me.

The Elricks look nice, but I don't really want to go above $1.5k and would prefer closer to $1.0k. I'm just looking for a solid instrument to try out. I can't imagine the extra string is too much of a stretch from a fiver. I'd like to experiment with chording in my band.

15. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Well, you don't need a 6 string (or even a 5 string) to play chords :p.
    But, if you like your Bongo 5HS, I'd look at a 6HS or 6HH, personally. I love my 6HS and my 5HS fretless. MTD Kz6 is another option, but tonally way different than a Bongo. About the only other 6er I could at all recommend would be a used Roscoe.

16. StayLow

StayLow

You can do a lot of chording on a 4 or 5-string, though yes the 6 lends itself to that perfectly. That extra string up high is a far bigger adjustment than going from a 4 to a 5 with a B-string, in my experience.

Ibanez BTB or Soundgear. Someone mentioned Schecter - I play several high-end basses and was quite amazed when demoing a Schecter Stiletto 5-string (acoustically, couldn't plug it in - fit, finish and playability were superb). The 6'ers range from $850-$1150 per their website. Used LEJ.

17. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Check out ESP LTD's B1006 - comparable to anything in the price range.

18. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

You are correct.
    ;)

I have done some chording on my 5s. I think having that extra string would open up some possibilities that don't exist currently.

19. dkelley

dkelley

All i can add is after owning many basses over 3 decades of playing and being a busy complex power trio type bassist myself, ive come to a low b is vital to me, tone is most important to me next, then playability, then range, then looks.

Ive had a great six and played others. I love them but havent found tone as good as my fives yet. In your range u can get great tone (mm or carvin..... diff but both great), but i no longer play ltd schecter ibanez etc after years on those brands. Its personal. So if u like bongo tone and gl.... get one in a six (which limits u 2 bongo). Imho

If u prefer bart tone.... stick with that. But choose carefully or eventually the honeymoon will end.

20. jojoslap

jojoslap

I have an Ibanez 1206 Premium, for about $1200 it's an awesome six string bass. Great tone and it's pretty light so it's great for gigging.

21. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Buy an SX six string. I just bought one and was very pleasantly surprise how nice it felt and played - at any price, let alone for under $200. You can always upgrade later if you feel the need.