1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sixtieth Anniversary MIM Fretless Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I think I have finally found a fretless bass that I think I will keep. I have been playing this bass at a local store since August. I started to buy it several times, only to back out. I suspect I know this bass better than most other basses I have bought because I played it so much. Now that I have it at home, I cannot believe how good my intonation is! I have been able to play along with my iTunes with very few flubs even though I have been practicing some fairly tricky stuff like Stevie Wonder and Bernard Edwards basslines to get feel for this bass. I took it to rehearsal today, and I used it the entire practice. I had few flubs, but I am certain I can use it for a service. Since a snow and ice storm is coming, I probably won't be able to play it at church tomorrow, but once I get it there, I think it will work out just fine. This bass has great resonance, and sounds wonderful unplugged. It is strung with heavy gauge flat wounds, and I love the tone. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393735138.682434.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393735153.320603.jpg

2. Dr. Cheese

This thread made me think about the thread I started a while back about newbies and gear. I have to say that this bass has me fired up for practicing. It is weird, but I am playing very little five string lately. I guess checking out people like Esperanza Spalding really has got me focused on using the whole range of the bass, and not simply riding the B string. Before anyone says, I can play five like a four if I want to, but I am really enjoying the whole EADG thing right now.

3. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Sometimes the simplicity of four strings on a passive bass is a beautiful thing. Most times, actually.. Congrats on the sweet Jazz!

4. Dr. Cheese

Going back to the basics is beautiful indeed. My love of Jazz Basses has been reaffirmed too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tbone76

Tbone76

Black and tort is very classy. Beautiful bass, enjoy!

7. Dr. Cheese

The store workers took that pick guard off a Squier and put it on. It looks a whole lot better than the stock white pick guard that comes on these basses.

8. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Looks awesome in black and tort. Rock on, good Doctor!

9. Dr. Cheese

The honeymoon continues, I've been playing it today!