Size down, sound up

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by akrachanko, Mar 9, 2014.

1. akrachanko

akrachanko

I am looking for a new amp, but I am not sure where to start looking for something that meets my specs. :help: I am currently playing an Acoustic 115 Cabinet with the Acoustic B200H Head. I love the sound I am getting. I play with the gain and volume both at about 2/3. I play an Ibanez 5 string and the support I get from the amp is awesome. I love the big sound and the fact that it can handle any note on the B string. The only problem is it's size.

I am ready to get a new amp but I have some guidelines. I want a combo that is smaller and lighter, but I want the same amount of sound out of the amp that I get out of my current setup. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also play upright sometimes, but not as much as the electric. If anyone can give me input, I would greatly appreciate it!

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I find there are three qualities of an amp you have to balance according to your needs and abilities: price, weight, performance. Since you seem to want equal performance in a smaller package, the price will go up. So how much do you want to spend?

3. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    It isn't just about the power, though. The amount of air you're moving is important, too. What if instead of smaller, you find the size in a different configuration, like a 2x12 combo. That would give more cone surface, and although not really smaller, being thinner and taller than a 1x15 may make schlep more convenient. Have you looked at the GK combos?

4. akrachanko

akrachanko

I am willing to spend up to 1000 if the amp will hold up. Less would be nice obviously, but I am not going to cheap out on something good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. akrachanko

akrachanko

And, basscooker, I have not yet but I think I will, are there any that you would recomend looking at?

7. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Being a good Ampeg pimp, I might suggest you check out an Ampeg PF350 and either the SVT 210av or a PF210he or 115he.

9. andrklet

andrklet Guest

10. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I have 2 Genz Benz combos.....Contour 1-15 and a 6.0 12T....both have great sound and I like them better than any other combo or head/cab rig I've owned. it doesn't hurt that they weigh 45 and 31 lbs respectively.