1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Size down, sound up

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by akrachanko, Mar 9, 2014.

1. akrachanko

akrachanko

Mar 9, 2014
    I am looking for a new amp, but I am not sure where to start looking for something that meets my specs. :help: I am currently playing an Acoustic 115 Cabinet with the Acoustic B200H Head. I love the sound I am getting. I play with the gain and volume both at about 2/3. I play an Ibanez 5 string and the support I get from the amp is awesome. I love the big sound and the fact that it can handle any note on the B string. The only problem is it's size.

I am ready to get a new amp but I have some guidelines. I want a combo that is smaller and lighter, but I want the same amount of sound out of the amp that I get out of my current setup. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also play upright sometimes, but not as much as the electric. If anyone can give me input, I would greatly appreciate it!

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I find there are three qualities of an amp you have to balance according to your needs and abilities: price, weight, performance. Since you seem to want equal performance in a smaller package, the price will go up. So how much do you want to spend?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. basscooker

basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    It isn't just about the power, though. The amount of air you're moving is important, too. What if instead of smaller, you find the size in a different configuration, like a 2x12 combo. That would give more cone surface, and although not really smaller, being thinner and taller than a 1x15 may make schlep more convenient. Have you looked at the GK combos?

5. akrachanko

akrachanko

Mar 9, 2014
    I am willing to spend up to 1000 if the amp will hold up. Less would be nice obviously, but I am not going to cheap out on something good.

6. akrachanko

akrachanko

Mar 9, 2014
    And, basscooker, I have not yet but I think I will, are there any that you would recomend looking at?

7. basscooker

basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Being a good Ampeg pimp, I might suggest you check out an Ampeg PF350 and either the SVT 210av or a PF210he or 115he.

9. andrklet

andrklet Guest

10. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I have 2 Genz Benz combos.....Contour 1-15 and a 6.0 12T....both have great sound and I like them better than any other combo or head/cab rig I've owned. it doesn't hurt that they weigh 45 and 31 lbs respectively.