Size....Matters?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Deechord, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Deechord

Deechord

Newbie wannabe bass player. Still searching for my first one. I was gonna go combo amp....but now I am re thinking that. Bass head and cabinet will give me more options in the future. But I have no idea how big to go. I'm thinking 150-200 watts? Thinking i would buy used. Size of cabinet? Dunno. 12-15 inch speaker? Or would a pair of smaller speakers be better. At this point it would be for practice. Gig's in the future? Who know's.....kinda doubt that. Would appreciate some help. Budget? Hmmm...what is reasonable? $200-300 for a head? Same for a cabinet? Most of you have been there....done that.
  2. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

Acoustic B200H is a great head to start with and you can get on for 150- 200 real easy. I would then get a 4x10 cab. I would also use the money you saved on the head and get a better set of 4x10s. Peavey makes great stuff cab wise but also check out your local craigslist for used Ampeg, Ashdown, and Harke's they all make decent cabs and with that set up you can keep up with 2 guitars and a loud drummer.

Then when you get more money upgrade your head.
  3. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Starting out with something that can later be used to play at band practices and smaller gigs does seem to make sense. However, such rigs often turn out to be not quite good enough for band practice and most gigs, and the weight and size make them relatively inconvenient for home practice.

Consider getting a small 1x8 or 1x10 combo practice amp with an input for an MP3 player or iPod (allows practice to music). Excellent models are available from Ampeg, Acoustic, Peavey and others for under $150, and much less used. Take the money saved and get a little better bass. You will always need a small practice amp, so this one will be a keeper. Don't worry about modeling right now. Maybe watch the local CL and classifieds here for an overdrive distortion pedal. When the time comes when you need a rig for practicing with others you will have a much better idea of what your needs are and will better be able to pick out what you need.

Don't worry. This will be your first amp, but far from your last.

Good luck!
  4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

+1. Excellent advice.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

AstroSonic makes a good point. A small practice amp might not be a bad place to start if you are still learning to play. Plus if you get a used practice combo (At some of my local shops they have used ones for $80.00) you can then save to get a better bass or still have some money saved for a head and cab if you go that route. I will say this as well; A good amp can make a bad bass sound better, but a bad amp can make even the best basses sound like crap.

Good luck. Let us know what you get and what it sounds like!
  7. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

get a Ampeg PF350. You can pick them up cheap, will go to 350 w 4ohm, (200 8 ohm) have a great little input for you IPod and a headphone jack right there for private practice, which I wish Ampeg would do w all their stuff (esp the 7 Pro). A pre/post DI too.

A 15" or 2x10 will do fine for awhile

You'll need the extra juice, esp when the guitard and the drummer start to get a little "overserved".
  8. MyMusic

MyMusic

From my experience I would say get the best equipment you can afford. Get someone that knows the instrument to go along with you when you try stuff out. Sometimes if you are taking lessons, your teacher can steer you in the right direction. I say this because I went the budget route and tried to teach myself and all I did was waste a couple of years because the sound was pooh and I felt that I was making no progress. It wasn't until I got a decent head and cab that I was able to really start to make any real progress.
  9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I agree great advice if you think about it whatever you get wil be better than most of the greatest bassists of all time started out with. I would get a decent bass and cheap used combo take your time and search for the best deal and when you find one check all of the reviews you can and also do a search on this site to see if anyone else has the same combo you are looking at. I would later get a pedal like a sansamp that has a DI so you can play gigs later take your time and enjoy the ride to better basses and bigger rigs.
  10. jlepre

jlepre

I would look used and definitely not waste time on getting a combo/practice amp setup. Look at that Ampeg PF350 that was suggested as it also has a headphone out. You could just start with that head and headphones until you get to rehearsing/gigging, and at that time add a 410 or 212 cab. JMHO