1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sizzling in the head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bozha, Dec 29, 2011.

1. bozha

bozha

I’ve noticed some kind of sizzling noise coming from my amp. It’s not loud, and it doesn’t coming through the speaker. Sounds like occasional short electrical discharge, high pitch "zzzzp" from time to time. Doesn’t affect sound of the amp, at least so far it doesn’t. It's an old Gallien Krueger MB150S. Any similar experience? What could be the problem?

2. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have sizzling in my head, too. It's from not wearing proper hearing protection in my younger days.

Oh! You mean in you amp head!:bag:

Sounds like your amp needs to see the amp doctor.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    It is probably a bust solder joint, or a dying capacitor, probably tech time. And, unless one cap is a bit swollen or funny looking, a frustrating pain in the nuts to find. In the $2 components replaced and 4 hours of time finding it.

4. bozha

bozha

Right, so… funny cap makes head sizzling? Tech time for sure… Looking inside, I can’t find any sign of damaged connection or strange looking capacitor. Don’t know any trustworthy repairman around, that is the biggest pain for me. Hope I won’t burn the whole thing using it like this for a while?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Jayne

David Jayne

Could be dirt. You might want to clean it thoroughly with a vacuum with brush attachment. But it's probably a loose or defective component, which will eventually fail. I would try and fix it before that happens, because whatever it is, when it fails it may take out other components with it.

7. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

LOL! Yeah, when I saw the thread title on the TB index page, I was thinking it was about tinnitus.