1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sketchy P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anton G C, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Anton G C

Anton G C

Hi, I recently bought a used Fender P-Bass from a guy I've known for several years now, and let's say I "trust" him. The thing is, the bass looks kind of strange to me... Something doesn't feel right, even though I got it with its original hard shell case. The "serial number" text looks strange as well. I will post the pictures for you:

*They were taken right now with my iPhone, but if you want I can take some more pictures of the finish and other details tomorrow in the morning.

[​IMG]
    IMG_9730 by brokentrumpet, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_9731 by brokentrumpet, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_9736 by brokentrumpet, on Flickr

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

It looks fine to me. How does it not "feel right" and why do you say it looks sketchy?

3. wooheehaa

wooheehaa

looks legit. 98\99 mia p bass.

4. Anton G C

Anton G C

I think the letters on "serial number" look strange, as well as the '0' in the number itself. I had it adjusted and it still feels strange to me... I can't play the 4th string without getting unwanted noise from the amp (either using fingers, pick or thumb), and it's not fret buzz, it's a strange 'quack' noise. Might be the pickup electronics, though. I've played some other MIA P basses before and they didn't make that sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Im_telling_tim

Im_telling_tim

I love Fender Basses I have had my share of them, I owned the exact same bass as that one and it was the only one I've had that didn't feel right.

7. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

It's always possible to get a lemon, regardless of brand.

8. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Sounds like a case of apples and oranges - a problem with sound and a question about manufacture/authenticity? First - get the "quack" sound checked out. Of course other P basses don't make that sound - if I understand you correctly, it's clearly a problem of some kind. Maybe the bass is a dog or maybe it needs a well-deserved fix.

As to the serial number - manufacturing is full of glitches, plus Fender has, over its history made numerous changes in the way it does the details of manufacture. Does the serial number correspond to the year and model the bass is supposed to be? I'd be more concerned about that than the printing. For info on matching serials, a search of TB should get you to the resource you need.