1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Skyline 55-01 through the years

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EtoBb, Dec 7, 2012.

1. EtoBb

EtoBb

Hey guys.

Have there been any significant changes in the production of the lakland skyline 55-01 through the years? New features? Removed features? Change in materials?

It's mighty hard to search some basses on an engine.
  2. EtoBb

EtoBb

Any significant difference in Korean production versus Indonesian?
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Aside from changing the production from Korea to Indonesia and the addition of PLEK fret leveling on all the Skylines, I don't think there have been any changes to the instrument itself. The 55-02 started out with Barts and then got the Lakland/Hanson pickups, but the 55-01 has always used the import Bart MK1's. Mine were all older Korean models, but most of the feedback I've heard about the Indonesian ones were very positive, especially the PLEK'd fretwork.
  4. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite! Supporting Member

The only significant change that I'm aware of is the very early 5501's had the better Barts (pre and pickups) in them (not MK1) perhaps CB's?

I have friends who have factory 5501's that don't have MK1's in them.
  5. EtoBb

EtoBb

Thanks for the info, Mike. I found a used Korean 55-01 that played nicely and I'm thinking about going for it. I wanted to know if there were any clear reasons I should pony up the dough for a new Indonesian one.

What happened to your 55-01's?
  6. EtoBb

EtoBb

Is there an obvious way to determine bartolini model?

In my experience they all just say bartolini on them.
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

The MK1's say "bartolini MK1" in the lower right corner, instead of having "bartolini" right across the middle. I think you could order it with an upgraded US-made Bart preamp at one point, but I've personally never heard of the 55-01 coming with US-made Bart pickups stock, unless they were really early ones.
  8. mccartneyman

mccartneyman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I had a Korean 5501 I bought used in 2001 and it had Gotoh tuners. Also had a warped neck and electronics problems, but Lakland took care of me on both issues even though I bought it used.
  9. EtoBb

EtoBb

That's some customer service.
  10. EtoBb

EtoBb

I put on my negotiation pants and ended up leaving the store with the bass.

It's not mint, but I'm digging the feel.

The pickups only say bartolini on them; no mention of mk1.

The only curious thing I'm noticing is that there's no push/pull pot. I'll need to give it a set up eventually, the action is a little to low, but it's' a nice bass.
  11. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite! Supporting Member

You may have one of the ones with US Barts!

Congratulations!
  12. Billy K

Billy K

I got one last Monday with Nordstrand big doubles installed in it. I am having a hell of a time adjusting the neck the strings Clack.Hate to raise them but I may have to.Love this bass though.
  13. EtoBb

EtoBb

I know what you mean. This thing sounds sweet, but I'm going to have to remedy the clack a little. The D string is particularly...clacky? Whatever.

I'm trying to use a little more finesse, but it's tough. I'm a pretty aggressive upright pizz player, and I'm having a little trouble letting the amp do the work.

I want to bring it out, but I think I'll wait a week or two until I'm used to the action.
  14. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

The Bart pre-amp does not have the push/pull passive tone control...this is ONLY available in the LH3 pre-amp.

congrats on the purchase!
  15. EtoBb

EtoBb

Thanks, basspraiser. I'm a little disappointed with the lack of active bypass, but that won't have me taking it back to the store.

The pickups and active preamp on this bass sound very natural. My main players for the past five years or so are a G&L LB100 and a hybrid upright bass, and I've always heavily favored that passive sound. This bass seems able to do that aggressive sound when I need it, but can back off to where I want it, too.

Lately I've been playing a lot of songs written in Eb, D, and Db, and this fifth string is feeling awful handy.

One more curious thing; the headstock is signed. I don't know who signed it when it was in the previous owner's possession. Paul Jackson? There is clearly a P and a J. I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

Anybody in Chicago ever own this skyline?