1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SL900 Dead!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Yikes!! My 900 is dead. Any suggestions.. I am so screwed here.. I need to use this tomorrow.. it was fine yesterday. Time to get a back up amp.
  2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Plug into the effects return and see if you get any sound.
  3. Sav'nBass

Hey that worked.. So what is that telling me.. that the line from the input to the effects line is dead or could it be a fuse?
  4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Probably a bad preamp tube.
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Now loop an instrument cable from effects send to effects return and plug your bass into the normal input.
  6. Sav'nBass

No joy there.. I did notice that the preamp functions do not work gain etc.
  7. Sav'nBass

I seem to remember a post about changng tubes not voiding the warranty.. I think i still have a warranty on this.
  8. B-string

Yes, the preamp section is faulty (you know the power amp works 'cause you plugged into the effects return). If it has a pre tube it could be bad or loose, could also be just a simple inter-connect cable. PM agedhorse he can walk you through the problem. :)
  9. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    swap the tube. If you are hearing signal when plugging into the back then it is almost a positive fix. If it was working yesterday and today it isn't...It could have become unseated vs fully blown.
  10. Sav'nBass

I'll try that..
  11. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    You are correct sir.
  12. Sav'nBass

I noticed the 2 & 3 tubes are 12AX7 tubes.. The 1 tube is different.. will that make a difference? I also noticed that the blue LEDS do not light and that usual click you here when the warm up protect LED goes out does not happen.

No joy there either.
  13. B-string

Did you PM agedhorse? He is a applications engineer for Genz Benz and helps out here all the time.
  14. Sav'nBass

Yeah I was going to but usually he seems to pop up like the Allstate guy.. ;)
  15. B-string

When time is tight....."like a good neighbor, State Farm is there" :D Gotta nudge things some. :)
  16. Sav'nBass

Done.. In the meantime I will have to go through the effects channel for tomorrow morning.. All the tubes seem to light up though.. at least they have an orange glow.. so maybe it is something more than just a bad tube.
  17. B-string

Could be just a loose or corroded flat cable? I don't know the interior/or design of Genz amps at all. I have heard of flat inter-connect cable problems on some of Genz units though.
  18. Sav'nBass

It looks pristine inside.. the first tube that I thought was a different tube is actually one of these so apparently all 3 are 12AX27s.. I will go to GC after the morning services are over.
  19. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Bummer man, sorry to hear about this.

If the tube warmup led does not go out or you do not hear the amp's relay click when the amp comes out of warmup mute, there may be something more than a tube that has failed. Normally, it just a bad tube.

I will pm you some options tomorrow regarding sorting this out, as I am in the middle of a gig right now.
  20. B-string

You the man agedhorse! Sorry about about getting the job title wrong, first thing to go is the memory ya know :D