Slap and Slide, I can´t get a good sound using the 2 techniques at the same time.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cheche32, Nov 1, 2013.

1. cheche32

cheche32

I´ve never been much into slapping. For a RHCP tribute im covering Higher Ground, it´sn not very difficult but there is one part when Flea slaps and do some slides. When I try to do it, the slide get lost, and only the notes im striking at the beggining and the end of the slide can be heared. Am I hitting the strings too hard?? a guy told me I need a Compressor, and Im considering but first i want to make sure my technique is the adequate, because its not only the song, but the slap technique as well.

Thanks a lot guys, you are alweys my saviors-

2. hail

hail

A compressor would definitely help a lot, not only for filling out the part, but in getting that signature slap tone nailed.

That being said, I would try and learn to get the part down as well as possible without one. Dynamics can be very tricky without a lot of work on your slapping, especially alternating techniques so your legato is loud enough to cut through on the slides and not get muddied. It can only benefit your technique and make your life a little easier.

You'd still probably want a compressor, though, so it probably wouldn't save you any cash if you really want to nail that part in any reasonable amount of time.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, do it with technique, not compression. It's all about sliding in a way that keeps the note you slide up to strong. Practice your sliding till you get it down, then try to put the two together.

4. Tupac

Tupac

In Higher Ground, you want your left hand's index finger to always stay pressed down from the beginning of the first G to the end of the last A. You just lift your pinky up for each note's octave. You'll get it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Kind of off topic, but a compressor is a good buy regardless. Practice Practice Practice.