1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Slap on TI Acousticores or Jazz Flats? Upright like tone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Acousticore, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Acousticore

Acousticore Platinum Member

Hey everybody! I just bought a new Lightwave bass, and am probably going to replace the stock strings with something a little more special. What I was wondering is would TI Acousticores or Jazz Flats be usable for slap, seeing as they have such low tension? This would be on a fretless bass, too, so that might make things even harder. If anyone has tried this and could enlighten me that would be amazing.

Also, what of the two string types mentioned above do you think would sound more like an upright bass? Is there possibly a string set that would be even better at this than either of these?

Sound samples if possible would be superb. Cheers!

2. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Just a random thought, since you don't need ferrous strings you could try custom gut strings, check out the DB strings section and look into guts. I'm sure i read about a company that does custom gut strings. The strings made for the NS Design Omni bass would probably work too. Just some ideas for you to look into since you aren't limited to just regular bass strings.

3. Grissle

Grissle

I like the Rotosound TruBass88 tape-wounds for that warm Woody upright-ish sound.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Acousticores would be most unique. Not sure how slapping would be in them though

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gyver

Gyver

I have Jazz Flats on my fretless Tony Franklin. I find it difficult to slap with them, and their slap tone is not great IMO.

I do find that I can get an upright-ish tone with them if I finger pick up on the neck...generally I love them, but I wouldn't say they do what you are looking for.

7. Acousticore

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think that I'll end up getting the Acousticores, since they have the unique nylon cores. They're also round wounds, so that should help me get some more "mwah." I'll let you all know how slap works on them.

8. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

I had acousticores on an acoustic bass, it is a very unique string. very twangy good for slapping too.

9. Acousticore

Well, unfortunately and after much ado, the bass ended up being broken. So, I didn't get to test out anything.