1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Slap technique, strings & sore thumbs?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Dec 23, 2013.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Haven't learned slap technique yet. I will be taking lessons for that soon. For preliminary studies I am using my thumb doing up & down strokes trying to match the timbre of both up and down. Not easy.

Lately I've been playing with GHS brights, they are versatile, combining the wallop of a hex core, & growl of a round core DR. Jesus, after 12 minutes or so my thumb hurts. Looks like I will go back to DRs, just to take some stress off the thumb. How do others do it?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Ghs Brite flats? You will want to use a standard round wound string for learning slap you will be happier. 40-100 or 40-95 set will do you well.

3. Jensby design

Jensby design

4. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

That feeling goes away with time and practice. Technique might have some to do with it as well, don't try too hard, and never quit!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

GHS bright rounds. I am putting my Fat beams back on, even though they aren't as versatile.

7. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

You can't get a slap growl w/flats.

8. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

P. S. I take it your name alludes to the SVT amp. In HS I had a 1974 SVT. You can have the 8×10 cab, I'll take my Goliath any day. But the '74 head? I would KILL to get it back. Though my LH-500 does the job.

9. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Rounds for slap, any decent brand. Flats are no good for slap, no matter what kind of bass you got.

10. Freestyler

Freestyler

Sorry guys, but some flats are just as good as some rounds for slapping.
    TI Jazz Flat on my Squier Jazz Deluxe V and I'm in slap heaven.

But I agree that there is a big difference between round and flat.

11. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Some light(ish) rounds will be a good place to start, as others have stated. No problem slapping flats, they sound great but entirely different.

Just remember that it is slap bass, not assault bass. A light touch is what you want, it is important that you after a while can switch between slap and finger style without crazy volume spikes. Then you won't need a different EQ/pre setting for slap either...;)

12. enricogaletta

enricogaletta