1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Slap - useful technique or just a show-off?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by magic papa, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

As per title. I'm serious, please - no flames.

OK - I suck at slapping and that's why I'm probably a bit jealous too. Always wanted to learn it, but also always thought that it wasn't worth it considering the amount of work.

Slapping sounds really cool when you sit in a music shop with a bass you pretty much sold your kidney to buy and just trying to impress the staff and other customers. Or if you want to play solo and show off then. Anyway - just show off. Has to be quick too because it gets boring after first minute.

Does slapping have its place in songs? Anybody knows good songs with slapped bass (apart from Higher Ground by RHCP :))?

Your opinions please.
  2. groooooove

groooooove

here we go..
  3. behndy

behndy

yeah man. REALLY missed this thread. hope there can be another "i just plugged straight into my amp and realized how stoopid efx are" thread in the efx forum.

like chocolate and peanut butter baby. go toGETHER.
  4. Zoa

Zoa

man, you just opened every can in the worm store.
  5. magic papa

Thanks, is this your band?
  6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Nope. Slap never sounds good EVER.
  7. magic papa

All right forget it then. Has this topic been done to death already?
  8. behndy

behndy

epitapatahtah - lulz. i LIKE you. you're silly.
  9. fryBASS

fryBASS

Uhhuh. Even before talkbass.com existed.... :p
  10. magic papa

As I understand from your comment this thread was already discussed. Pretty much like every other on any given forum that's been there for a while. Did you actually have anything to say :eyebrow:
  11. CertifiedLurker

CertifiedLurker

A little from column A and a little from column B.
  12. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    I suck at using strings other than the E string - I guess that's why I'm a bit jealous - always wanted to be able to use the other strings, but also always thought that it wasn't worth it considering the amount of work.

Playing those other strings sounds really cool when you sit in a music shop with a bass you pretty much sold your kidney to buy and just trying to impress the staff and other customers. Or if you want to play solo and show off then. Anyway - just show off. Has to be quick too because it gets boring after first minute.

Does playing those other strings have its place in songs? Anybody knows good songs using the other strings (other than Tom Sawyer by Rush)?

...sorry guys, couldn't resist. :)

Your opinions please.
  13. magic papa

14. Kabal

Kabal Supporting Member

Think of slapping like martial arts. You train to make yourself a deadly weapon for years but then learn that you're never supposed to use these techniques. If you've ever seen Ong-Bak think of it like that
  15. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

Disclosures:
    +1! Interesting point of view - I like it! This stuff's been covered, tho - I'm off guys.... :)
  16. behndy

behndy

yahppers. got lots to say. first of all, back up off me homie. you don't know me.

i'm so damn gangsta.

well, YOU'RE the one that started a thread that's not only been done a BILLION times, but always turns into veiled and not so veiled insults.

also, just a very, very silly question.
  17. magic papa

After reading some of the comments coming from (I think) slappers one can't help but to conclude that their funky right hand movement was mastered through some other activity. The similarities aren't coincidental. You see, I don't need to engage in that activity and therefore I'm not good at slapping. Problem solved :hyper:
  18. Zoa

Zoa

IMHO, the answer to this thread is. . .

Listen to behindy. Or you will get slapped.
  19. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

Disclosures:
    OW!!

...of course, if I thought this thread was at all serious, I'd suggest checking out some Chic/Bernard Edwards. IMHO, he was far and away the tastiest slapper. Check out the live at Budokan stuff -- Bernard plays just the basic grooves of the tunes, and he might slap three notes in the whoile song, but threre's never any doubt - they're the right three notes. :)

Peace!
  20. Kabal

Kabal Supporting Member

HEY!!! I'm a lefty in that regard :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.