Slapping on 24 frets vs P-bass or Music Man

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tonemachine, Dec 22, 2013.

1. tonemachine

tonemachine Supporting Member

I'm recently back to playing in public after a long layoff and sometimes it requires me to slap and it sometimes requires 5 string but it doesn't really allow me time for instrument changes so I am "stuck" using my 24 fret bass for now.

I'm having a heck of a time getting a good thump sound on the 24 fretter and I have heard that some people say it harder to do. Any opinions, pointers or otherwise?

I wear my bass very high up and, with a long horn, the bass is shifted very much to my right so my natural "slap position" has my thumb falling on like the 21 or 22 fret..... can one get a good thump on the fretboard? When I last slapped much it was on a music man which I have since sold and my thumb was always thumping below the end of the fretboard....

Thanks.
  2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

I'd say either alter the height of your strap, or work on your technique so that your able to produce the sound you're looking for.
    FWIW I personally find I get a better thump, when I slap if I have a lower action. Good luck in your quest.
  3. GastonD

GastonD

I don't really think it's that much of an issue. Regardless of the bass I slap, it's always over the last couple of frets, be it 21 or 24... Now, you may have different sound preferences, but technique-wise, I do not see a problem here.
  4. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I just picked up a 24 fret last week. IMO it made no difference to me when slapping.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tonemachine

tonemachine Supporting Member

Thank you, everyone who contributed. I can now thump on my 24 fretter as good or better than on my P-Bass.

I finally sat down and got my thumping technique to produce an excellent sound 99.999% on my P-bass. I never did this before because I don't have to slap often so I faked it when I had to. It was passable on P but quite sucked on my 5 String 24 fretter. On my P, my thumb position is/was always beyond the fretboard, on my other bass, my thumb is over the fretboard so I assumed that this was the problem.

Once I had thumping down very good on P-bass, I put on the 5-string, 24 fretter and and I could do it almost as well. This is a first. After a few days I could do it just as well as on the P.

I'll chalk it up to the P-bass being more forgiving for learning since there is no fretboard to worry about under your thumb. I guess once you can thump the string the right way, the fretboard doesn't much matter.

I'll soon be asking about popping with two fingers on one string on MM Bongo in another thread but feel free to input here.