Slapping on Compression Wounds...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by spacebassed, Dec 13, 2012.

1. spacebassed

spacebassed

...who does it, and what are your thoughts?

I don't do much slapping, but I like to have a bass that is suitable for it in case I need to track something for someone else. I'd like to move to compression wounds on my jazz bass, but since its the only bass I have that lends itself to that technique (my other basses are Guild Starfire w/flats and Modulus Q6 w/ slick rounds) I want to make sure that I can still get a good slap tone with them. What has been your experience?

2. Fredy

Fredy

GHS- Pressurewound Flats :D Thats what i use.

3. soulman969

soulman969

I have a set of GHS Pressure Wounds on my Jazz Bass and they're great all around string. I don't do much slap either, mostly fingerstyle. I wouldn't say they're the best choice for slap style but there are guys here who do use them that way.

As you can see on the brightness scale the Pressure Wounds are a fairly mellow string. GHS Progressives might be more to your liking if you want an alloy string that's a little bit brighter. If not then the Pressure Wounds sound terrific on a Jazz Bass.

GHS Bass String Brightness Scale:
    [​IMG]

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Pressure wounds feel a bit stiffer to me than standard hex nickel strings. They for sure can be slapped, but may not be the easiest.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    They slap just fine! Phat tone out of them too...

7. awamori

awamori

Never used pressure wounds before though my friend did and hated it for slapping.