slapping technique

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by lbbc, Nov 23, 2012.

1. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Hi Anthony,

First, let me say I saw you play with Victor in Annapolis MD and it was the best "early birthday" present my wife has ever given me. She knew that I was a fan of you, Vic and Steve.

Now...I hate to admit it, but I have little to no skills in slapping technique. I have bought videos, books and took lessons from a local guy (very good at slapping, not so much for teaching). I'm 54 and have always played fingerstyle and would like to have this style of playing in my arsenal. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Hey lbbc,

I highly recommend that you listen to and become familiar with the genre. I would even say to do more listening than playing right now. Get a true understanding of its history and evolution of the music and technique. Don't learn it as a stereotype. If you think you're familiar with the genre of Funk ask yourself how many of the pioneers of the genre do you know. Make a list of Funk bands, songs and bass players. See how long the list is. If there are only a couple if names then you need to get familiar with the genre.

And lessons with someone who understands the genre will always be beneficial.

peace,
    anthony

3. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Hi Anthony,

I've been listening to, but not fully immersed in the genre. I have always appreciated the style and feel of the bass in funk. I'll continue listening and take your suggestions about listing the bass players I like.

Take care,
    Wayne

4. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

As I re-read my first post...I hope you didn't misunderstand my intention. I just want to be the best "all around" bassist possible. To me, that means learn the theory of bass playing across all genres.
    Additionally, I share responsibilities of lead singing in my band...which I feel takes away from concentration on my bass performance. I know there are many great bassists who also sing (the 2 aren't mutually exclusive). I just want to focus and get to the next level on my bass playing journey.

Take care,
    Wayne

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Hey Wayne,

No I didn't misunderstand. I think we all want the same thing. But sometimes we don't always know the best way to arrive at it. And sometimes we overlook the obvious things that can help us get there because they seem tedious.

Sometimes I'll get a student who wants to learn how to read music. But they'll be oblivious to the fact that you have to know the notes on your bass to be able to do that. And then they'll 'question' me on why we're spending time working on the notes on the bass if they want to learn how to read music.

You have to know how to count(the basics) to be able to do 'anything' dealing with math,...addition, subtraction, division, multiplication,...

peace,
    anthony