1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Slave power for Eden head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jan 8, 2013.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Hey, been searching but have not had this explained clearly.
    Say you've got an Eden 405, and you wanted to up your available power on occasion. Can you add power by slaving a power amp to it? I was told by taking the signal out of the headphone jack on the Eden I can send that to the slave amp. Would this eliminate the Eden power in the equasion, or combine the 2 amps?

2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

The WT405 has a Pre-Amp out 1/4" on the back. That's exactly what it's for. Just run it into your external amp.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Depending on your spkr cab, you may not gain any volume at all. usually, adding spkrs is the better way to increase volume. What are you using now?

4. emblymouse

Disclosures:
    The Eden is on it's way, as is an LDS 15/6 cab. I'm now running my Walkabout head into a Bag End S12 and S15. All 8 ohms.

I'm wanting a little more useable volume for a new 3 pc. Texas blues thing I'm in. I'm trying both a little more power (about 100W more with the Eden) and a 3rd cab. I don't know if the 15/6 is the right choice but I can always get another Baggie 15. I love the Walkabout tone but have always wished I could slave some extra power to it but it doesn't seem like you can.
    If I really like the LDS my understanding is it's going to want more juice than either of these amps can give so the mind wanders to the slave amp idea. I know the Bag Ends can also take more than I'm giving them, they are rated at 400W ea. I think the LDS is rated 450W.

I guess I'm a little ahead of myself here, but I've got to do something until the toys arrive!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

7. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Oh, one more post. You'll love the contrast between the Eden and the Walkabout. I have a WT400, WTX500, and the WA plus a few others from SWR and Markbass (F500). I tend to favor the Eden amps and the Mesa Walkabout on most of my gigs and practices. I don't think I could choose between them if I had to lose one.

8. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

The manual for my Eden WT550 says that they made it to run at 2 ohms because people want to use them that way, but the tone is better at 4 or 8 ohms. I've never run mine at 2 so I don't have personal experience.

9. emblymouse

Disclosures:
    I see what you mean. The Eden arrived today and I've been doing the old A/B comparisons all day. The Eden is tighter and stays that way as you crank. The Walkabout is thicker and.....hell, I don't know, just very pleasing to the ear. No real volume difference but the Eden will hold it together longer at a gig, I can tell.
    As of tonight the nod goes to the Eden, partly because I like the feature comforts like mute and on board compressor.
    But man, the fan is really loud when it comes on! People talk about the Walkabout fan but this is worse.
    The good news is I don't think I'll need to go the slave amp route. I'll be receiving the LDS cab and I'll try them both with the 3 cab stack.