Slaving a Markbass LMK II to a Mesa Walkabout heas

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lobaw, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Lobaw

Lobaw

Hey there TB electronic wizards:

I was hoping I could get some guidance on how to properly slave a LMK II to my Walkabout head. I don't want to blow up anything. :eek:

If it's easier to slave the Walkabout from the LMK II, that would be fine too.

Thanks.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

What spkr cabs are you using, and how many? "Slaving" is usuallyt used with multiple cabs, each amp having it's own. You could also run them stereo. But first things first, what are the spkr cabs? and the rest of the rig?

3. Lobaw

Lobaw

I'm running 2 EPI T-112's (8 ohms each) off of the Mesa Boogie and wanted to slave it to the MB to run a single Acme Low B 2x10 4 ohm cab, or 2 more 8 ohm cabs. I'm kinda stuck with this configuration since the Low B demands so much power, but wanted to take advantage of the tube pre in the Mesa Boogie. I've got a few other cabs which are variously 8 ohms and 4 ohms. I don't want to run the Mesa below 4 ohms, although I hear, unofficially, that it can go down to 2 ohms (not according to the tech I spoke with at Mesa). I do have an IAMP 800, which goes down to 2 ohms, but I'm retiring it and will be selling/trading it for something else. It will be up here on TB soon. Thanks.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Run your bass signal to the WA's input, and the cabs for the WA from spkr out. Then, run a line, (normal instrument cable) from WA's PREAMP OUT, or Effects SEND, into theLM's Effects RETURN or Poweramp IN, and connect the 2nd set of spkrs to the LM as usual. This will have the tone controls of the WA as a master for both units.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

What Rick said- unfortunately the Master Volume control on the Walkabout comes before the FX return, so if you were to use it as a Slave you wouldn't be able to control the volume from it independently, whereas most amps that aren't Mesa have the Master Volume AFTER the FX loop. I think I recall reading that the LMII has its FX loop located before the EQ section on that amp, so that might complicate things as well (I could be wrong about that though).

7. vin*tone

vin*tone

You might also be able to use the DI out of the WA into the XLR input on the Markbass? The DI is effected by the master vol too.

8. murphy

murphy

remember the fx loop on markbass heads is parallel, so it will still be affected by markbass preamp eq controls.......unless you change it to series....by the internal jumpers

9. murphy

murphy

when i run both my heads together, i go out of the fx loop of one and just into the regular input on the other .

10. Lobaw

Lobaw

murphy: are you saying that you run a line out of the fx send on one Walkabout head into the instrument input of a second Walkabout head? I think I was under some impression that, if you ran a line out of the fx send on the Walkabout without closing the loop with the return, it disabled the power amp section. Hence my confusion about the whole thing.

vin*tone: I hadn't thought about running out of the DI into the MB. It makes sense, though.

The last time I tried something like this, I used a separated preamp which I ran into the fx return of another amp with good results. I don't think I'm, worried too much about dialing in the right sound on the MB. Once I get it right, I'll be able to set-up the amps each time without a problem.

Thanks, again, for the input.

11. murphy

murphy

No,no, I don't have a walkabout head, but I do run my Markbass heads together

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The possible problem I see is that if the power amp of one head inverts the signal and the other does not then they will cancel instead of add. Identical amps should work well but those of different manufacture could be a crapshoot.

13. Big Benner

Big Benner

Media:
    How please? I know that I've seen a picture / diagram for this but after 20mins using the search function I can't seem to find it.

I'm looking to change the FX loop on my Markbass CMD 102P combo amp from the stock setting of Parallel to Series.

14. Big Benner

Big Benner

Media:
    I found the instructions for the Markbass FX loop conversion from parallel to series please see the "Official Markbass" thread.

Sorry, I'm not on my computer and am having trouble linking.

Benner