'Slaving'

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Precision345, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Precision345

Precision345 Supporting Member

Hi Tb,

I'm new to 'slaving' and I need some help. I have never done this before but I recently purchased a Traynor ts50b and I would like to use it in conjunction with my traynor dynabass 400 and ampeg 4x10.

From what I've read I can use the ts50b as a 'primary' or 'tone amp' and the dynabass as the 'power amp'. If anyone can give me a walkthrough on how to do this safely and correctly it would be much appreciated.

I think I know how to do it but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I don't know either of those amps, but there is usually preamp out / poweramp in jacks on the back that you would use.
  3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    TS50b appears to have a line out, Use that to the FX return or power amp in of the other amp.
  4. robd

robd Supporting Member

Send "Line out" on the 50 to "amp in" on the dynabass
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Not familiar with either amp, but if they are all-tube, you'll need a load connected. Don't run a tube amp without a proper load, (spkrs), or the amp will burn up.
  7. Precision345

Both are solid state although the traynor dynabass has a tube pre amp
  8. Precision345

Do I need something to act as a speaker load for the ts50 so I don't fry the output transformer? I've read that, 'if you’re considering doing this with an old-school amp without any type of direct out or effects loop, you can’t just bypass the amp’s speaker output without potentially seriously damaging – if not destroying – your amp’s output transformer!'

Does the line-out act as a direct out?
  9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    That's mostly for amps with tube output (power) sections - not tube preamps / SS power amps. I think there's a rare couple of SS power amps with OTs, but they're few and far between.
  10. Precision345

So I can just go line out to amp in and I won't fry anything?
  11. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Is the "amp in" jack on the 400 a power amp in or just another pre amp in on the rear? A lot of rack mount gear has a pre amp input on the back also so you can run wireless without having cables showing. Either way i wouldn't run a pre amp into a pre amp if that's the case . I would try hooking the line out of the 50 to the effects return on the 400. That's what i do to run my sans amp RBI into just the power amp of my swr head. But some effects loops are wired differently mainly some are parallel and some are in series. When i go into the effects return on my swr head i can still control the power amp and limiter sections because they both come after the effects loop.
  12. Precision345

So what do I do to slave these amps together?

Attached Files:

13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I'm not familiar with the two either. But to slave an amp, either use - 1) preamp output into the post preamp input or - 2) preamp out into effect return or - 3) lineout into effect return or into post preamp input (may need some padding).

You could also daisy chain the instrument inputs (but this isn't slaving). NOTE: if you use lineout into instrument input you'll get better results if padded (but this isn't slaving either). Also you could use a splitter too (but this isn't salving either). These are just different ways to drive two amps - not slave one to the other.

EDIT: The point is - to slave an amp to a master amp, there must be input jacks that allow you to bypass the preamp section of the amp to be slaved and the master amp needs a preamp or line output. (Oh also, GK now uses "chain" in/out puts).
  14. Precision345

what do you mean by padded?
  15. Precision345

so could I go line out to amp in? according to the dynabass manual the amp in skips the preamp section but leaves master controls
  16. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Yes, that's exactly what slaving is. One preamp feeding both power amps. So you can use one set of tone controls to control both power amps. Only makes any sense if you're using a speaker cabinet on each amp, or the amp you use as the master has specific features the slave amp does not AND the slave amp has substantially more (as in twice as much) power.

John
  17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Attenuate (lower) signal level.
  18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. ^^^ This
  19. Precision345

Awesome. Thanks for all your help, John. I wanted to make sure I had this right so I didn't fry anything. The TS50b is rated 50watts @ 8ohms and the traynor Dynabass is rated 400watts @ minimum 4 ohms.

When I slaved them I didn't actually like the tone as much as I thought I would. I felt like the TS50 lost some of it's grit and crunchy quality. I might try it further but not sure.

Thanks again!