Sleeper combos on the secondary market

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mindwell, Jul 20, 2013.

1. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong--my various big rigs aren't going anywhere. But I don't *always* need to knock down walls, and a smaller onstage footprint sometimes really would be a help.

So what thoughts/recommendations/experiences would folks have with regard to combo amps that are a) up to $600 used and no more than 70-ish pounds, b) stout yet flexible enough to support anything from a large horn band to a power trio, fingerstyle, slap, and pick, and c) good with a b-string?

Of the combos I own/have owned, I loved the tone of the SWR Baby Blue, and my Portaflexes (B-15N and SB-12). These, however, aren't loud or low enough. Had a Peavey Databass and loved the volume and footprint; the tone, not so much. Is there some magical beast that does it all?

Having read lots and lots of threads, I'm as interested in hearing intuitive observations as technical details. So, given the stipulations above, what brings the whump?

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    The Roland combos don't get much love on TB, but I have been using an old DB700 combo for 10 years now, in similar gig situations that you mention. With PA support, it's a great stage monitor, and is loud enough to drive the 4 piece Blues band gigs I get in small bars. I retro fitted a JBL K140 in it, and it has sweet tone for days. On the heavy side though, especially with the JBL, but it's worth it, imho. They don't pop up that often here; I see them on Ebay once in awhile. The newer ones had a powered extension cab as an option.

3. sensei_steve

sensei_steve Supporting Member

My swr spellbinder blue sounds awesome in a home practice with one or two guitards and a keyboard. With its parametric tone controls, i can dial in almost any tone. However, it just doesn't cut it playing out with guitards, keyboards, drummer and pa.
    On the other hand, my hartke 12" kickback totally rocks it. I've heard mine, and on other occasions heard my friend's kickback, totally hold its own, cut thru and sound great with a full band with several guitards, keyboards, drummer and pa in a small to medium size bar. Who knew?

4. Mickey Burns

Mickey Burns

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. droo46

droo46

GK MB212. I've been gigging with mine for a couple years and it's always been more than enough for any setting. 35 lbs and 500 watts.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

I can see the convenience of a combo for sure but I think the "neo-cab/micro-head" combination is worth looking into as well.

8. greengoblin

greengoblin

I've played through quite a few combos. While I am usually an Ampeg guy, if I were looking for a combo I'd get a Fender BXR300c. Built like a tank, US built, ported 115 with capabilities of an extension cab.... Around 75lbs....

9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

My LMII and Thunderchild weigh a combined 38 lbs, blows you budget though. I did walk into a GC and see new Markbass Jeff Berlin or Randy Jacksons combos on sale for $850, probably worth the extra couple hundred.

10. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

SVT CL+Fender 810 Pro. Tried it side by with the Ampeg 810 and chose the fender. I may be wrong-my ears are buggered(tinnitus).

11. Blairb

Blairb

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you like the B-15, the micro Portaflex rigs are pretty sweet. And so is the Micro VR, although it won't get as loud as the PF rigs.

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

14. jpbass5

jpbass5

EBS Drome - the older ones made in Sweden. Amazing, versatile, musical, portable. 120watts into 12 in speaker. Lots of ins/outs. Much louder than it should be. Still going strong after 10 years.
    I wish I had two of them...

15. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Thanks for the excellent suggestions and discussion! Lots of interesting ideas here to consider--the EBS, Fender, and GK all sound particularly on point. And Blairb put his finger on something that I think I had in mind with my initial post:

In that spirit, I'd be interested to hear any further ideas that people might have?

16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

If you want to consider some cutting-edge cabs, look no further than the BIG E speakers being made by TBer Mike Arnopol, as well as Duke LeJeune's remarkable Audio Kinesis cabs, Greenboy's fEarful cabs, Baer's ML-series cabs, and just about anything produced by Jim Bergantino. If I've left anyone off of this list, I apologize.

17. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

@ jpbass5 - now that you mention it - I think I played through a Drome several years ago on a road gig. Yeah - it was killer loud - even with my rock/blues band & 5 string bass.

18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

SWR Working Pro 12/15. 200 watts with kick back feature.
    I don't know if they are still made.
    Kinda rare on TB classifieds.

19. jpbass5

jpbass5

Yes, quite good with my 5 string as well. I really like this thing.....

20. Cutty

Cutty

I have a Roland DB500,it's great combo,and loud for it's size,see if you can try one,they are no longer made so may be hard to find,good luck.

21. solodb

solodb

Always watch for a Yamaha B115iii, it's got a fantastic pre-amp same as the renowned PB-1 with dual semi-parametric EQs; and it's 100 watts are really loud! It's only down- side I know is :if the output IC's are faulty , they are proprietary and hard to find.