Sleeping in the afternoon.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BobChi, Dec 29, 2013.

1. BobChi

BobChi

Recently I've gotten used to sleeping in the afternoon. I am not talking about a short 30-minute nap, I am talking about a good 3-hour sleep. I usually wake up around 17:00 and feel sleepy/with a headache (I get headaches when I oversleep) for the rest of the day. If I don't go to sleep, I feel sleepy and without energy. I didn't used to sleep that much. During the night time, I toss and turn a lot in bed, have a lot of nightmares, wake up in the morning feeling not rested and not full of energy. Anyone with similar experience? How do I reset my internal clock and fix my sleeping regime?
  2. Joel Schirripa

Joel Schirripa

Try to keep yourself busy during the day and especially near the time you would sleep so you can go to bed at a decent time like 9 o'clock or 10. Also try waking up fairly early each morning and don't sleep in which will make your body feel fresher throughout the day :)
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Work out. You'll have much more energy and sleep better at night.
  4. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Sounds like you've whacked your body clock slightly. I get into a similar state over Christmas especially. I progressively wake up later. I usually eat later, or more substantially, then try and sleep having not really exerted any energy during the day and on a full stomach. For me this results in unsettled dreams, accompanied by heartburn and a high body temperature as I try and metabolise all the food I just ate.

Last night my neighbours decided to help me with my malaise by coming in at 5am and playing Kanye West bloody Riverdance music whilst stamping on the floor. They also had a subwoofer right over my bed going all night. I eventually called the jazz police on them at 7:30 having not slept for the previous two hours. When I was a student a visit from the jazz police was seen as an unofficial badge of honour, and usually the visit would be no more than two kindly older gentlemen in stab vests handing out paperwork. Now they just send round the real police....

Anyway, the upshot of this turn of events is that I am now really tired! :bassist:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Stick with it.
  7. knumbskull

knumbskull

"Jazz police" :D
  8. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Exercise always helps me right the ship when I put it out of whack for whatever reason.
  9. Immigrant

Immigrant

What time do you get up that makes you desire a 3 hour nap in the afternoon? Are you having this problem in your summer months? Is it summer there now? I dunno. Do you suffer from seasonal affective disorder? Get a light box.

Discipline may be your answer. I'm up before 5 am very day and generally take afternoon snoozes in 18 minute increments (either 18, 36, or 54 minutes) but I could easily go for two hours without forcing myself to wake.
  10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Make a list of what you eat, for each meal. Too much carbs and sitting immediately after eating makes me sleepy, but if I'm active, I never feel that way.

At night, what is your usual sleeping position? If I lay on my left side, I don't dream very much but on my right side, it's just about guaranteed.

If you want to establish a sleeping pattern, you'll need to interrupt the one you're using. Strict bedtime, no TV or radio, darkness and no distracting noises help. Some find that "white noise" helps them fall asleep- whether it's a radio that's tunes off-frequency or a fan at low speed, it can work.
  11. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Sleeping in the afternoon is fine. I do it often, as I work evenings, yet wake up early in the mornings to take care of other things.
    The trick is, you can't nap more than 15-20 minutes in the afternoon. It may not sound like much, but it is enough.
    Any more than that you will experience exactly what you are experiencing, namely waking up feeling tired, headachy and dizzy.
  12. BobChi

BobChi

I used to get up and 7:30 each morning but I turned off my alarm during the festive season. Also, I used to workout 3 times a week and go to ving tsun practice the other 2 (leaving the weekend to cool off) but I stopped that also. I guess I have become lazy.
    At night, at first I lay on my back. Then I turn on my stomach, one arm and one leg straight, the other ones bend and the arm is under my pillow. Then I switch arms and legs. I rarely sleep on my sides.
  13. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Being a truck driver, I often drive all night and sleep all day. Sometimes I sleep for fourteen hours and Bank for the sleepless hours to follow. Plus your body heals while sleeping so maybe you are fighting off a virus or something.
  14. duff beer

duff beer

On days off I normally nap for about 45 minutes in the afternoon and wake up refreshed. I find that if I go any longer I wake up sluggish. The key is not to sleep long enough to reach deep, REM sleep.
  15. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I generally can't nap and it's hell when i don't get enough sleep at night or have an extremely busy day. I basically can only sleep if its actual bedtime.
  16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Something I learned while in the Corps. Sleep for 100 minutes and you will feel almost as rested as you will sleeping all night.

Apparently once you hit REM (at around 90 minutes), it only takes a few more minutes to get enough rest to go another 8~10 hours.

I can do this (with a shower on waking) for days with no ill effects.
  17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

+1

I discovered this in college. A short 15-20 minute nap has always been enough for me to go an extra 5-6 hours with no issue. The trick is being able to shut your brain down and to not think about things while you're napping.
  18. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

As someone that has sleep apnea and has to use a cpap machine, it sounds like I used to be.

My o2 was dropping so low I was in grave danger every time I slept. My sleep test revealed that I was stopping breathing up to 6 times a MINUTE! And some times not respirating for up to 35 seconds! For years I never really slept and would crash in the afternoon. I was diagnosed and got on cpap and now I sleep eight hours no problem and snap awake gangbusters. I'm wide awake for about 14 hours now and begin to get sleepy. By bedtime, I fall quickly asleep and rarely awake during the night.

See a doctor! Your headaches are a sign of low blood o2 from your airway collapsing and you stop breathing!

Edit: MAYBE. If you snore terribly, see your doctor.
  19. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Wow that would never cut it for me.

Anyway like i said i cant nap, i can only fall asleep if im starting to feel exhausted (but not TOO exhausted cause then i feel too crappy to sleep...), otherwise my brain will keep me awake.

6 hours a night is ideal for me. At 5 hours a night i can function. Cut it to four and i can function a day, more than that and i'm a zombie. The thing is when i DO manage to have naps longer than an hour, when i wake up for about an hour after i feel worse than i did before i napped which makes it seem not worth it.

I really hate sleep. I've had insomnia issues before. Going to sleep makes me nervous.....it's ****ed up like that, i put it off as long as i can. And not getting enough sleep triggers anxiety. I really wish humans would come with an off and on switch.
  20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

That's what happened to me for the longest time, too. I'm telling you though, just try to lay down for 15-20 minutes sometime. Set an alarm so you don't sleep more than 25 minutes. You might not fall asleep, but you're not really supposed to, either. You just want to nod off for about 5 minutes. You'll wake up feeling refreshed, and you won't have a headache or feel groggy in the slightest. IME, even laying down for 30-45 minutes is way too much and can leave you feeling awkward.