1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Slides

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MarshallNole, Mar 25, 2014.

1. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

Any tips on improving on slides besides practice? It seems I have a habit of putting too much pressure on the string, making it very difficult to slide. Other times I guess I don't put enough pressure and I get some string rattle. Sometimes I nail it :)

Also, does accuracy just come with time? When playing Californication, during part of the song you slide to the E note on the 14th fret of the D string. When sliding to these smaller frets I flat out miss and stop short or go too long about 75% of the time.

Any tips appreciated.

2. mrmills

mrmills

Keep you fretting hand relaxed, not only will it help with the slides but also help with reducing the chance of injury.

You just need to practice the long slides, be prepared for the note you want to reach and listen for/know where up the fret board you need to stop.

There is no quick replacement for muscle memory :)

3. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

In Ed Friedland's 3rd Bass Method book there are several nifty slide songs/exercises that helped me.

4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

two types of slide : legato and not legato

Legato you hear prefectly every notes while the other the only dissernable tones are the first one and the last one.

you should practice to slide slowy, making sure you land on the right notes before speeding it up. Also you say you put too much strenght ... then practice slide without your thumb on the back of the neck.

saddly there is no short cut in music, you need to put the time and many anwsers are : pratice more. Simple as that. What seems impossible today may be the easiest thing you've played in a week, a month ... a year who knows.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer

two things that helped me with slides;
    1. use only one finger to reduce friction
    2. listen carefully and stop on the sound of the note you want (its better than visually seeking a certain fret)

7. apotterdd

apotterdd

I too had the same issue up until last week when I tried it with a lighter touch and not death gripping the neck seems to work alright.

I also tend to stare at the fretboard when sliding so I know where to stop just making myself stop is a whole other thing.

You'll get it just keep at it.