1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Slight string buzz on '72 Fender fretless P

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lawjazz1, Mar 27, 2014.

1. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

I have owned this bass since about the late '80s and never have needed to make a neck adjustment (straight as an arrow). I recently switched from tape wounds to TI flats and LOVE the sound! But, I am now noticing small buzz high on the neck. I have read here on TB that TI flats are looser and therefore there is not as much tension on the neck, so the neck may be back bowing (right term?) slightly ( only a couple of notes, e.g. the high A on the E string).
    This bass has the typical fender truss rod adjustment at the heal.

Qs: Sorry if these have been answered before ;) : 1) How much care do I need to take when I first attempt to turn the truss rod given that it hasn't been done in at least 20+ years? Is there any kind of lube ? 2) As long as it doesn't get worse, should I just not bother? and , 3) Which way do I turn it, clockwise or counter-clockwise? I don't want to harm the bass by turning the wrong direction. 4) Or, should I just raise the string at the bridge?

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

If you have a back bow you want to tighten, just a quarter turn should fix the problem. Rightie tightie, leftie loosie. So clock wise. You don't need anything to lube the truss nut. Just do a quarter turn give it a couple days to settle in. Good luck!

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

no

4. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

if you have a back bow you need to loosen to correct it.
    Best advice as I had one of the 70 fretless p a long time.
    Take it to a professional and have them set it up. A neck that has not been moved in that long needs patience and very fine tune adjustments.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Lower tension strings will also have a larger excursion, which can cause them to buzz the upper frets, if too low.
    And yes, you need to loosen the truss if it's back-bowed (or perhaps just not enough relief). To check for this: fret the first fret with your left hand. fret the highest fret with the pinky of your right hand and tap the string with your right thumb. If it's already touching (or a hair away) the frets, you need to loosen the truss and add some relief.