Slightly unusual FX question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shaerah56, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Shaerah56

Shaerah56 Supporting Member

I'm looking at multi FX units vs building a pedalboard. I'm not going to be playing with a lot of effects for the near future, but I've priced things out and it'll basically be the same either way.
    My question is on usability. I have no sight, so units with a lot of menus are quite frustrating. The Boss ME-80 sounds about perfect, but I can't find one locally to test. Have any of you tried it on a bass? Do you know of any other units with good features/sound that are similar to operate? Maybe the Digitech 355? From the sound of it it's got quite a lot of dedicated buttons and the knobs only change function based on a category button push. The pedalboard I was going to build will be about $400 Canadian, but for MultiFX I'm willing to go a bit more. So if there are any I've missed that would be simple with few to no menus I'd appreciate being made aware. If it doesn't work out I'll just go for the physical effects I have my eye on. Thanks :)
  2. Plectrum72

Plectrum72

Most of the ones I've checked out may not always have extensive menus but there's usually enough of one than not being able to see it would hinder my use of the unit. Depending on how many effects you would regularly use, you may be better off going the route of individual pedals.

I've got the Zoom B3 (very menu intensive until you get your patches dialed in) and find that the effects I use most often are compression, distortion or fuzz, and chorus. Most other effects I find fun to play with, but not very useful. So now I am in search of a good chorus and a good fuzz pedal. I'll keep the Zoom to cover the less frequently used effects and for its DI (plus its amp/cab sims are killer).

If you really want to go multi-effect instead of individual pedals, it does seem like the Boss ME-80 would fit your requirements best.
  3. Swift713

Swift713

I would think that single effect pedals would be much easier for you to use than the vast majority of multis.
  4. FooHead

FooHead

sent you a pm
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If you think about it, how does a multi effect unit work? It uses a few knobs to control many effects via menus. So I think you're whistling in the wind. Go with regular stomp boxes.
  6. rsm

rsm

My main bass gear now is a Zoom B3, set-up your patches with the Edit&Share program: fast and easy. Once you have patches created, practice adjusting directly on the B3 so you know how to do it without Edit&Share.

Hoping there's a firmware update to get 5-6 effects per patch, but I plan to get a Zoom B1Xon for 5 effect slots per patch.
  7. Shaerah56

This is true. But some like at least most of Digitech's RP guitar processors and the Boss ME-20 have dedicated buttons for category, then knobs control the effect selected, which is doable. Some like the MS60B have 3 knobs, and you have to go into menus to control more parameters.
  8. topo morto

topo morto

I agree that separate pedals are much more usable... multi fx can be frustrating for anyone, let alone if you can't see what you're doing.

How about trying a 'knobby' multi-fx first, like a korg ax-3000b or boss ME-50B second hand? and if it doesn't work for you, just move it on.
  9. Shaerah56

Good suggestion. Going to see if I can get hands on some of these. Between those and the ME-80 those sound like the best options. If not, I'll just go straight effects.