1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Slipping on ham..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FurnaceAwe, Feb 19, 2014.

1. FurnaceAwe

FurnaceAwe

My band got asked to do a last minute show after another band had dropped out and we followed a grindcore band onto the stage. One of their antics was to smash a pinata at the end of their set, and it was full of sandwich meat, bologne and ham slices and of course they didn't clean that up.

The stage was covered in slices of meat and as a pretty active band I ended up stepping on a pile of meat and slipped, falling on top of the monitor and tumbling off the stage. I've never let falling or crashing into someone stop me from playing though, and I don't think I missed a note then either.

2. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Lol that is amazing! I think it beats that one time a former guitarist knocked over a buffet table at a school dance after the drumset collapsed....

3. P Town

P Town Guest

I would hunt them down, and make them eat the stepped on meat.

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

We had Dunkin Doughnuts groupies throw jelly doughnuts at the band when we did Psychedelic songs (in the 60's).... sticky situation.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

wow thats bogus. i had a singer get his dreds caught on my headstock tuners during
    a show, had to stop and untangle him. he looked funny with me dragging him around.

7. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Awwwww...good job holding it together but come on, that's a waste of perfectly good meat.

8. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

wow....a grindcore band using non-rotten meat. You are lucky.

WAAAYYYYY back in the 90's my band played before Insane Clown Posse (in a very small club before they were well known, so no Juggalo's etc {thank god}), and every thing we brought in that night ended up covered in soda.

I remember the sound guy going: "you guys might want to leave your gear off the stage and in the next room" and saying something about soda....Our stuff didn't fit in the next room so it sat side stage after we played...and got coated during their set.

Also was funny b/c we had about 90 people there for us, and after ICP's 3rd or 4th song, the audience dwindled to about 20...

9. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

The 4 gigs I've played have never had a problem, but I do have a story, my dad was playing with one of his many bands, this one was Tex-Ass (them and the Swingin Utters have quite a history together!), but he was down in california, and the first two opening bands, the crowd was dead, but then my dad's band came on, in his own words, "Really, we werent any better than the opening bands, we were really nothing special, but the second we'd step on stage these people would go absolutely crazy, and we hadn't even done anything yet!", but so about halfway through the show, my dad decided to stage dive, he did so, and when he was in the air, a large portion of the crowd moved, my dad is around 6' 7, and weighed around 200, so people ran, and there was only like 2 people there to catch him, needless to say, all 3 them hit the ground in a crumpled heap and it took a while for everyone to calm down!

10. FurnaceAwe

FurnaceAwe

Sounds like some of you guys have had some sticky situations, donuts and soda...

and PortlandBass, if that buffet table was full of food when he knocked it over that tops mine easily, I would have loved to see that, especially if I had already filled my plate...

11. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Where's the beef? What a bunch of bologne, I think you were hamming it up and purposely "slipped", trying to pinata on the other band. Steak out your next gig so your band doesn't meat up with the grindcore band again, 'cause they sound like they're out to luncheon. Having to play after them, that's the coldest cut of all.

Might as well go for soda...

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Have you ever attended the Austin Pun-Off?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Henry_Pun-Off

Because you should. Some good stuff you got there. I like how your brain works.

13. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Thanks will33, for the complement and the link!

Brings a tear to my eye now ... to come to know that I'm not alone in the world, to know there are others like me, willing to pummel and be pummeled by a prodigious amount of pun-ishment.

Been years since I've been to Austin...