slowly building a vintage pj... lotsa question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deerfield, Nov 18, 2013.

1. deerfield

deerfield

slowly, thanks to Evilbay, I'm building my dream P: maple 76 neck with lots of use signs, natural ash body from 73 already routed for pj...

Schaller tuners, fender bridge with grooved saddles, F plate will follow.

What about guard? Black, white or tort?

A badass bridge would be too much?

Re. pickups, I was thinking Bartolini 8s for p, and equivalent for j. I plan to string it with flats.

thank you for the advice... as soon as the body is in the mail I'll post photos
  2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Tort guard! No Badass!
  3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Black or tort. I'm not a Badass fan, but I do like high mass bridges. Traditional looks better and will work fine.
  4. deerfield

deerfield

bridge: given I already have a traditional, I'll put it

Guard: tort or black, the jury is still out

Pickup... advices on Bartolini 8s? never played them...
  5. comannapaca

comannapaca

Pickguard is a matter of personal preference. Choose what you like the most :D
    Hope this help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. deerfield

deerfield

I really like cream pickups with tort guard.. unfortunately cream pu's covers are hard to find. At least in Europe. Building the right combo (locating cream cover, let them arrive, buy a pickup with swappable covers, locate the right guard etc..) could take a lot of time.
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Keep an eye on the TB classifieds for used parts. I can't speak knowledgeably about Bartolini pickups, but I scored a set of vintage cream Dimarzios and a tort guard for a similar 70's build out of the Accessories section and the bass sounds fantastic.
  8. deerfield

deerfield

I have a soft spot for vintage seventies DiMarzios soundwise and lookwise. If someone wants to sell a set of them, or also separatedly, and send to Cont. Europe, I'll pay very well.

How hard are to get vintage J in cream?
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

I found a couple of vintage Dimarzio J bridge pickups in cream in the classifieds at the same time, but I attempted to negotiate a little too confidently and lost out on BOTH of them. It can be done. I have considered painting a set to match, though.
  10. deerfield

deerfield

I'll keep an eye or both on classifieds, thanks!

Re. painting: Doesn't paint chips away from covers when playing? I anchor my thumb on it..