Small Amp or Preamp DI box??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mike_111, Mar 11, 2014.

1. mike_111

mike_111

Hey, I'm currently looking into a better practice amp...

I have an Ampeg CL and 8x10 and was wondering what you guys think would be a good small amp to get that sort of sound out of,

I have quite a Tim (rage) tone, and don't really know of a good small amp that creates that.

Have looked into little amps like Ampegs 100watt one or like GK ones...

But I've also looked into like a Sansamp Driver Di, as that would be even more practical and sounds pretty good.

OPEN TO ANY HELP AND ADVICE ANYONE WANTS TO THROW OUT THERE?? cheers guys.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    V4B/212av or two 112av's might work for you. Not exactly a micro, but it's smaller and lighter than an SVT rig. SVT 4 and 7 Pro are also excellent heads that don't have tube power sections and can get an SVT vibe going. If you're willing to sacrifice tubes altogether, maybe one of the PF heads into a PF210he or one or two SVT 210av's.

You could use a Sansamp pedal (I prefer the VTDI over the BDDI), but then you would always need a PA, and you'd be at the mercy of whatever monitors they have for you.
  3. mike_111

mike_111

I'm looking more into like combos and stuff for ease of moving around, like minimum 100watts but you get the idea. Just for play playing at the drummers house and for acoustic gigs etc etc.

I have thought about that for case of the DI, that I'd always need a PA but we do have one in the band and would have one at smaller gigs and practices, I dono it is a tricky one that
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well with the PF rigs, you can bolt the head to the lid and it's a fliptop combo. And the 100w BA115 is pretty good as inexpensive combos go as well. They quit making the B100R but that one was absolutely stellar, so if you can find one of them, I think you would dig it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gary m

gary m

I like ART's Tube MP in one of its many incarnations as an inline preamp. The V3 is especially useful with a bank of presets and an analog VU meter. You can also just overdrive the tube if you want a decent distortion sound.