1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Small Amp or Preamp DI box??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mike_111, Mar 11, 2014.

1. mike_111

mike_111

Hey, I'm currently looking into a better practice amp...

I have an Ampeg CL and 8x10 and was wondering what you guys think would be a good small amp to get that sort of sound out of,

I have quite a Tim (rage) tone, and don't really know of a good small amp that creates that.

Have looked into little amps like Ampegs 100watt one or like GK ones...

But I've also looked into like a Sansamp Driver Di, as that would be even more practical and sounds pretty good.

OPEN TO ANY HELP AND ADVICE ANYONE WANTS TO THROW OUT THERE?? cheers guys.

2. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

JimmyM, paging JimmyM !!!

3. M0ses

M0ses

I don't really know about your tone, but I recommend the Ampeg ba-115 simply as a pretty good amp. It's got nice tone options, it's super light, it leans back, what more do you want?

4. mike_111

mike_111

I've used one of those before and they are quite nice, but i did seem to be drowned out, is there one around the same size with more watts?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Several ways to skin that tone cat, but if you are looking for an amp for practice in lieu of the fridge rig, the MicroVR stack is a great sounding little setup.

7. mike_111

mike_111

I was considering that a while back only having a master and no gain knob put me off it slightly

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ampeg B50/100R. You would still need a DI box to play live or mic it, but its a great amp and has wonderful tone. IMO, its one of the best combos around. Like, ever. But you will only find them used as they dont make them any longer.

9. M0ses

M0ses

I use the DI out into a PA literally 100% of the time so it's never been a concern for me. Alone it's not quite enough to keep up with a loud drummer. Perfect rig if you just need a stage monitor, though.

10. mike_111

mike_111

Yehh our drummer is stupidly loud and for the most time it would be to jam at his, that'd be the problem

11. mike_111

mike_111

I'll keep me eye out for one for a decent price man, cheers for the heads up

12. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

You are thinking of the MicroCL perhaps? The MicroVR (silver grill cloth) has both gain and master volume and 3 EQ controls, and it's 200wa at 4ohms.

I also own a B50r, and its tone is awesome; the MicroVR will cut much better in the practice space, though. I have gigged it without PA support many times. With two guitars, I need the second 210av cab, but I've been fine with just the one in a trio setup with drums and a sensible guitar player.