1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Small cabinet options. Help needed.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whatisacup, Nov 25, 2013.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

I found 2 contenders for cabs that meet my size, weight and price range in my local used market.

1. Two of these: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/210MBE

2. One of these :
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/212MBE-II4?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=COjI-ubfgbsCFW0V7AodankASA

I like the idea of the two carvin cabs, because I can carry one with each hand, plus it has awesome tweed tolex.

What should I be looking at if I want a nice midrange growl, that's loud for when my larger 410 is too large, and sounds good?
  2. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I’d get the GK 212. With that, you may find you don’t need whatever 410 you have (especially if it’s a budget piece), and it’s still light enough to be practical for smaller/quieter gigs.

I have a cheaper GK 212MBE cab that sounds pretty darn good, and the one you’re looking at should be better.

They make an 8-ohm version of that cab, so if the one that’s available to you happens to be one, that would be good in case you want to double up at some point in the future.
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. Yep the G-K 212s sound fantastic.
  4. Crabby

Crabby

I like the GK's for sure but just bought the Carvin 210 micro combo and have the 210 extension cab on order. The extension cab is on sale right now direct from Carvin for $219! That is insanely cheap for a 400 watt 210 US built cabinet. It's a small 210 cab and will have its limitations but so far my combo has really impressed me and the cab sounds really sweet. A pair of them would be just killer!
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I would go for the US built G-K it's definite performer.
  6. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Definitely the GK. Hearing bad things about Carvin speakers lately.
  7. Cirk

Cirk

Yup, Carvin is now using Chinese made drivers, which some folks don't like.