1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Small Clone owners: Help Please!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by burl0029, Mar 2, 2010.

1. burl0029

burl0029

I just bought a US model EHX Small Clone and the depth switch was/is broken. Upon inspection, it appeared that someone had stepped on the depth switch as the bottom of it was pushing away from it's metal housing. I used a pliers to push them back together and the switch is once again tight. However, when I change modes, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the sound. I'm unsure if the depth switch is that subtle or if something is still wrong. I'm wondering if the previous owner changed the wiring or if perhaps the switch is still broken on the inside.

Here's where you come in. To answer my question about the wiring, I'm looking for someone to post a picture of the switch and it's wiring so I can compare it to mine to make sure nothing has changed. If that's not the problem, I might try a new switch. Thanks.
  2. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Small Clone is not a subtle chorus IMO, there's still something wrong with it.
  3. burl0029

burl0029

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm talking about the depth switch, not the on/off switch. The pedal makes a great chorus sound, I'm just not sure if the depth switch is actually doing anything when I move it.
  4. Ron Now

Ron Now Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals, Blackout Effectors
    From my experience the depth switch usually makes a pretty big difference in sound. One position is pretty subtle sounding, while the other is very thick and deep.

My guess is the switch is messed up...perhaps you can get a new switch and solder it in there yourself.
  5. burl0029

burl0029

I plan to replace the switch, but I still need to see a pic to make sure the wiring is correct. Putting a new switch in won't do any good if it's not wired properly.
  6. burl0029

burl0029

Problem solved! I bought a new switch and put it in to much fanfare. Afterward, I disassembled the old one and realized why it doesn't work. Feel free to skip the rest if you don't care to learn how slide switches work.

The slide switch is a DPDT switch. The black plastic part of the switch has a small piece of springy metal in it that serves as the contact for the pole/throws. In one position, it connects throw 1 to the center pole. In the other position, it connects throw 2 to the center pole. In this particular case, the small metal contact in the switch was missing, so no contact was being made between the pole and throws.

I originally bought this pedal to fix and then resell, but I'm already growing attached to it. Pedals are my weakness. And basses. And amps.
  7. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I laugh so I don't cry. :D