1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Small combo for an SVT guy?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Inconnu, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Inconnu

Inconnu

I'll be needing the portability of a small combo with enough power for a small band practice (3 piece : mellow drummer and amplified acoustic guitar) that will have a warm tone that will not make me miss my SVT and it's 8x10 too much. I know it's impossible to reproduce the sound of an SVT out of a small box, I'm looking for something that will be satisfying...

I want to do this on a budget, maybe around 500$. First idea I have is maybe trying one, or two (using the stereo output of my flanger), Line 6 Studio 110, which are pretty cheap and have a decent SVT emulation... but I worry about using those digital things in the long run, and wonder how it will react to the low b and the high output of my G&L L-2500...

Any thoughts? Other ideas?
  2. xfredrikx

xfredrikx

Here's your solution, sir:

[​IMG]
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep. Or the Micro CL, which isn't quite as powerful or expandable like the Micro VR, but also costs $250 less.
  4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

When I was in exactly your situation, years ago, I searched patiently until I could pick up on an old Ampeg B-15 Portaflex for a reasonable price. It would have been great for the band situation you describe. It was a little mellow for the fusion stuff my friends and I were attempting at the time, and I migrated toward "modern" solid state amps.
  5. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

The TC Electronic BG250 will get you pretty close.
  6. BBQV

BBQV

I totally agree with Fredrik. The Micro rig does a pretty impressive SVT impersonation, weighs next to nothing and doesn't set you back too much financially either. Give it a try, you'll love it!
  7. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Ampeg B50R/100/200 Rocket - Great tone, great looks with blue tolex.
  8. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

pignose hog 30 with a mia pbass, i kid you not
  9. Inconnu

Inconnu

I haven't heard much about the Micro-CL, other then the cab isn't all that good (not the same speakers as the Micro-VR, not capable of putting out the same volume, etc.). True?
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    True but I think they sound pretty good. Of course it won't put out the same volume as the Micro VR because that's $250 more ;) If you can swing the Micro VR, it's worth it. Might even be more worth it with a PF350 for a head, but the look of the Micro VR is quite cool. Still, the Micro CL is sweet for the money.