Small Hardware EQ for Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

I have a Boss GEB-7 but curiously it misses out frequencies between 800hz and 4.5khz - which I like to use. I use it like this: Bass -> EQ -> DI Box.

Are there any other EQ boxes that have a wider range of frequencies?

What would be even better would be some kind of small, external pre-amp that plugs into the bass and just dangles there.

Suggestions most welcome.
  2. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Find a pedal parametric EQ. I have an old Aria that works great. Boost/cut, frequency that is boosted or cut, and the bandwidth of the boost/cut. I have a Behringer knockoff of a Boss Spectrum which is a simplified parametric with a preset bandwidth. MXR 10 band might be better. The old Scholtz half rack graphic EQ was voiced for guitar players, with more bands in the mids than in the bass and treble ranges. The Nathan East pedal is a single parametric band.

Pedals like the GEB7 can be fairly easily modded to move the frequencies where you want them. Or just buy a single rack space 31 band EQ and be done with it.
  3. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

What I really need is a Waves C1 or R6 - but in a box. I have the Waves software but I just believe the character of the tone must be shaped as early as possible in the chain.

Ok, so maybe a great big TC Electronics unit...