Small IEM Limiter?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MK1, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MK1

MK1 Supporting Member

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any small limiters that can be used with in ear monitors. For the most part I will be using an Aviom system with a set of UM2s, but occasionally I will be using a rolls PM351 and the lack of limiter worries me. I don't want to carry around a huge rack, so I'm looking for something I can throw in my gigbag. The only thing I have been able to find is various attenuators, I'm not looking for something with incredible tone, but rather something that will catch a feedback loops, an over enthusiastic drummer's cymbal, or dropped mic. What do you guys have for me?
  2. 3506string

3506string

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I have a small pedal board... has various methods to connecting to various PA scenarios.... on the board I always carry a Shure PSM 200...

The body pack has a limiter.

When I'm concerned about a limiter... I'll either hardwire PM350/PM351 to the bodypack... or wireless...

With this setup, I've never had to ask a sound tech to mix "more me" or have scenarios where I was concerned about the sound tech with limiters... many times hard wired IEM is totally useful... I always have the option for limiters and/or wireless.

Hopefully this makes sense and is helfpul.. feel free to PM if I've been power typing confusion.
  4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Used PSM 200 is about $250 ... many are out there that are NOS or never used...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  7. 3506string

3506string

Alesis Nanocompressor
  8. MK1

MK1 Supporting Member

I never thought about using the PSM with the Rolls. I'm using the PSM when I'm not using the Aviom. How do you rout your signal?
  9. Carver

Carver Supporting Member

That's what I use...you can get them on the cheap on eBay.
  10. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I looked at the Nano Compressor but ended up going with the Presonus Bluemax. Both will do the job.
  11. MK1

MK1 Supporting Member

Tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. Are you just plugging your instrument into the Rolls, and having the monitor mix sent to the PSM body pack, and plugging the output of the Rolls into the body pack? or are you having the Monitor mix sent to the Rolls in addition to the instrument and plugging that into the body pack?
    Thanks,
    Matt
  12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

try sending again..

I have to leave for a gig.. can post the signal chain later.

Basically the Rolls contols the mix to IEM -- then sends through to wireless,di or amp (or both)

I use a Rolls PM350 (discontinued) to add simplicity.

I use the body pack of the PSM for a limiter if there's a rookie sound guy.
  13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I can tell you how road acts do it.. it's really irrelevant for most of us giggers...

I tried (and own) countless versions and options... the above seems to be the easiest to acclimate and deploy.

As always.. ditching your amp and practicing vai mixer is the first success step.

Tim

Please ask for clarification if I"m muddy
  14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

ohy yea.. (sorry about the power rambling)

The above setup also allows you to use a powered monitor instead of amp....

Tons of options if they're factored in... all of my junk fits into an anvil suit case... I had a silly rack setup.. was heavier than my dusty old svt.
  15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I'll be bold enough to say it's foolish not to have a PSM351 in your tool kit if running IEM (yes even if you have a hot shot salaried sound tech with a PHD in physics)

Many IEM deployments become frustrating and fail because of the following

1-player doesn't practice/acclimate to IEM
    2-player expects the sound guy to care about his setup
    3-player doesn't plan for methods to easily tap into normal sound system
    4-sound crew is too busy (or not equipped) to do a "more me" aux mix.

I could go on and on (and bore you more than I have).

Tim
  16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

sorry I wasn't watching this thread.

Tough to get real world experience (that's down to earth) on the topic.. want to ensure someone can learn through my mistakes.
  17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Rolls passes everything through and manages it all... ...

it's a pass through mixer....

IF i need an ambient omni mic.. I can plug it into the rolls or PSM wireless sender.
  18. TimmyP

TimmyP

19. petesenkowski

petesenkowski

Thanks, MK1, for bringing this up, and thanks to all who responded with suggestions. I use IEMs with a Rolls PM55 (similar to a PM351, but with only 2 inputs instead of 3, and with optional battery power) exclusively for my monitoring, and I've been concerned about the lack of a limiter.

Most of the suggestions have been pricey and contain more features than seem necessary for a simple limiter between the Rolls PM351 and the headphones; some of them are rackmounts and are bigger than my whole pedalboard (admittedly laughably sparce: a powerbar for the wallwarts, the PM55, and a Fishman Platinum Pro). I never use a wireless, and I've always been the only one in the band using IEMs; everyone else just uses wedges.

The Alesis Nanocompressor isn't too expensive, but it's old and discontinued, and it's replacements are expensive, complex, and large.

Bongomania, given the modest basic requirements for a limiter that MK1 and I need, would the Rolls CL151 limiter's horrible sound be a factor?

My own searches hadn't turned up anything better than the suggestions here, so I'm sorry to be whining; I'm just hoping for something simpler (and cheaper).

Thanks,
    Pete
  20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Body pack forlorn a psm200 has limiting
  21. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Like i said, Presonus Blue Max. Discontinued also but Presonus CS is awesome.