1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Small issue with strings/nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jet A1, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Jet A1

Jet A1

Hi all. First let me say that I'm not a luthier by any stretch of the imagination but I'm not afraid to tinker with stuff either. ;)

So here's my issue:

I recently aquired a Peavey Milestone BXP from a guy who was moving, in exchange for, of all things, an old PS1 and a bunch of games. About the only thing wrong with it is that it was very dirty and needed strings. So after a good cleaning and giving it the once over everything looked good with respect to action, playability, etc except I noticed the strings touch the fretboard on the headstock side of the nut. The string height and neck seem to be in good order with no buzzing to speak of so relief is good enough for me from what I can tell (but I'm certainly no expert).

Yet just ahead of the nut as the strings tip over toward the tuners they ever so slightly touch that bit of rosewood that tapers off toward the head. With the strings out of the way you can see where they touch. I was just going to carefully bevel this edge off with delicate fireworks to clear the strings, rather than do a full on nut replacement. Any thoughts? :help:

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Sounds like you've got the solution-
    just be careful with those "delicate fireworks".

3. lz4005

lz4005

If it isn't causing tuning issues or some other functional problem leave it as is.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I've done this before and I think it was a Peavey Millennium 5 with a bar-type string retainer. Even with the proper string break and retainer height, the strings (or at least some) just "kissed" the wood. I cleaned up the drag zones with my nut files and all was well.

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I don't recommend using delicate fireworks either. Use the right tool for the job for the love of all that's good! :p

....such as a sanding block.

Yeah if it isn't interfering, leaving it alone is fine. Of course if you are so inclined, beveling it is fine too.

7. Jet A1

Jet A1

LOL.... thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'll go easy on the "fireworks" (and forego the 4" angle grinder) and try some "filework" instead.... :)