1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

small power amp (1/2 rackspace or standalone)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by richnota, Sep 9, 2006.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Beyond the Acoustic Image Focus SA, are there any small power amps out there?

Im thinking of pairing one with my EBS microbass preamp and Accugroove 110 to create a groovy lightweight rig. I want to avoid the standard 19 inch rack form since the cabinet itself is narrow and I dont want to lug the case.

Huge power is not necessary.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Perhaps an Ampeg PB250 head and go in through the Effects return?

250 Watts at 4 ohms, 12.5"W x 3.75"H x 10.5"D and only 14 lbs.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Stewart PA-110B. 180 watts Bridged mono into 8 ohms. Weighs 5.5 pounds.

dcr
  5. lug

lug

[​IMG]
    Bose PackLite power amplifier Model A1 - 250 watts
  6. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

interesting stuff...

the stewart looks very promising (i've noticed a lot of players using their "world" series amps).

the ampeg and crate look cool but I'm looking for a pure power amp.
  7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

FWIW, I had a World 1.2 and loved it. Sold it to go to an EA iAmp 800 instead.

Sometimes, I wish I'd kept it. Had it over a year and ZERO trouble. Can't say that about the EA.

dcr
  8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I tried the Crate. It sounded surprisingly good as a bass head. Then I tried feeding my DIY preamp output into the RCA jack input, which bypasses the built in speaker simulator.

Great sound. I mean, for the available power level, it was really killer sound. The only caveat is what happened when I really overloaded it, as in cranking it all the way and dropping a bomb on the open E string. How it goes into protect mode is to completely drop out for a couple seconds, then come back to life. If you are OK with that, then it is a good lightweight power amp at an attractive price.

I had half a mind to make my own boutique bass head by yanking the front panel and installing my own preamp. But I have too many kooky projects already.

Admittedly, I also peeked inside. Construction quality was superb.