1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Small, powerful bass combo amp? Help!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JAL, Jun 2, 2007.

1. JAL

JAL

Hey gang. Trying to find a small, powerful (around 100 watts) and PORTABLE bass amp. I was looking at the GK microbasses, but they seem a bit overpriced...any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

I have been using a SWR workingman 10 which is 80 watts and 100 with an extension speaker. I have upgraded mine with a Deltalite II speaker which improved the tone and lightened it by 6 lbs. I also use a Sansamp BDDI with it. I am on the lookout for a 4 ohm version of the Deltalite. This will allow me to get the full 100 watts from the unit but will not allow me to use the extension speaker option. There is a WM10 in the classifieds for $200.00

3. Emprov

Emprov

How about the Ashdown Electric Blue? I've never played through one but they have the rep of being one of the best bang for the buck combos out there.

4. jsamans

jsamans

I really like my Workingman's 10 too, and I also use a SansAmp with it. Gintaras, good info there on speaker options for it -- never occurred to me to swap it out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Christov

Christov

See if you can find an SWR Baby Blue. JUST what you're asking for.

7. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

forgot the mention the Ashdown!! Have a friend that uses one and can usually handle a loud jam with an extension speaker. Great deal....

8. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    I used to like the SWR LA 15 Cube's, I really haven't played one post fender era though. They are fairly compact at 18x18x16 and run at 100 watts.

9. Aaron Mc

Aaron Mc

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Roland Cube 100. The tone is slightly less refined than the G-K MB combo, and it's bigger, but it's also louder and sounds great in its own right. I think it's exactly what you want, but the newer SWR WorkingPro combos are worth considering. I've been impressed by the 1x12".

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

What's your budget? What do you want to do with it?

I have a small GK Backline 110 that's a decent practice amp. Look at the Backline 112 or 115 combos.

And don't overlook the Peavey combos.