1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Small size "monitors" that are worth it?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Inconnu, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Inconnu

Inconnu

Around or under 200$-300$ a pair, is there any models that would handle the lows of a 5 string bass and the bass drum of my drum machine without being necessary a perfect reference for mixing? My goal is to find something pretty cheap and as small as possible.
  2. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

The powered version of the Alesis Monitor One is under $300 a pair, and sound very good IMHO. They aren't particulalry small though. If you haev really limited space you might consider a 3-piece sub + satellite system.
  3. Inconnu

Inconnu

I guess I'll try to work out some space, I hate the fact that the lows aren't exactly stereo when using a sub...

I've just checked the specs of those Alesis, seem nice.
  4. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

In 99.9% of situations, you want the bass to be mono anyway. Spreading low-frequency energy around the stereo field doesn't really work well in practice.
  5. Tractorr

Tractorr

For small and under 300 that are going to represent your 5 string well at all, you probably want a 3 piece system.

And +1 to not wanting to spread out your bass in stereo. Many mixing pros will even high pass low frequency instruments and treat that band separately if they want to use a stereo effect (some effects units even have this built into their design).

Point is at this price range a 3 piece system is your best bet.
  6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

I use one of a variety of solutions to put the low end of a mix into mono, or more specifically, narrow its representation in the stereo field. Izotope's Ozone5 has a multiband stereo imaging section that allows negative values to narrow stereo perception. I'll set that to a low frequency range and really hit it hard with negative values. Works great. Airwindows ToVinyl does a great job of this as well, but is only available in AU format.

...I'm getting pretty far off topic here...
  7. Inconnu

Inconnu

OK, so if I consider a 3 piece system, what should I look into?
  8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

They're a little more than you want to pay, but its a complete system that's accurate and has great low end extension. And its really small.

http://abluesky.com/products/exo2-new/

Typically $499.
  9. Tuned

Tuned