1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Small tear in driver.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by creis2, Nov 16, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

So I was installing a driver after a duratex job on my 410 cab. I slipped the screw and it put a small hole inside the paper part of the speaker. It's a small hole, not noticeable, but is there.

Refer to the image below. Since the hole is in the section of the driver that moves, I'm worried there isn't an adequate repair available.

Is there anything I can do? A new driver is only $75 plus shipping, so It's not like I crashed a $60,000 car, but was wondering if there is a remedy out there.

I'm sure this is not the first thing this has happened.
  2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    If it's a small hole in the surround, you can get away with leaving it alone sometimes. The speaker surround edge treatment coating will keep the tear from spreading. If it were mine, I would probably pretend it didn't happen and rock on if I couldn't hear it buzzing.

If it's making noise or you just want to fix it, you should be able to use a thin coating of clear silicone to that area. I've also heard good things about using artificial fingernail adhesive on speakers from my buddy who knows his stuff. He uses that stuff to repair guitar speakers. Whatever you use, make sure it dries kind of rubbery and apply it thin, or you will dull the sound of the speaker. The amount of coating on the surround really affects the tone!
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited

Yep.

If you're the mechanicing type, you probably have some RTV silicone gasket maker stuff laying around. I've used that with good success. Rubber cement too. Anything that sticks but stays a bit flexible for the surround.
  4. creis2

creis2

Since I own a Volkswagen, I defiantly have RTV silicone in the toolbox.

I'll try a dab of that. I mean, the screw put such a small hole, it's not very noticeable. It takes me a few minutes to find it every time I go up to the cabinet. I just don't want it to rip down the road. A lot of times, repairs end up a lot stronger than the original material that was there.
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    A little screw hole may not hurt anything really, but, just a little dab of rtv will keep it from tearing further. Then you won't be constantly looking and wondering.
  6. username1

username1 Supporting Member

I repaired the speakers for some pa bass bins that the surround had torn all the way around the speaker by using silicone caulking on it. That was 20 years ago and the speakers are still working good today.
  7. anderbass

anderbass

I repaired a very similar speaker tear using this tolex adhesive:--> http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-F316

I simply used a small paint brush to paint 4 thin coats around both sides of the surrounds damaged area. (and letting it dry like 10-minutes between coats) This product has the consistency of milk, so its very easy to work with.

I'm sure silicone would have worked just fine too, but my tolex adhesive dries clear and is much easier to work with to get a very smooth-even coating, so the repair is pretty much invisible, plus my repair has held up very well to playing this cab loudly for quite awhile now. This type of tolex adhesive is available from several other sources, as it dries it becomes incredibly sticky, and it seems to remain very flexible for years...
  8. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Another holy speaker user here... Just one screw hole in the surround... Cant hear it so I just let it be.

After tearing it, Orange Co Spkr recommended a light medical (mostly cloth) tape in the inside, if you can reach it.

Good to know about RTV!
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I have always preferred Rubber Cement as RTV was always too stiff when "dry" for my liking. Very small piece of single ply TP can be used as a "patch for larger tears.
  10. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

+1
    BTW, I have done this exact same bone head move before and a thin coat of rubber cement turned into a permanent fix.
  11. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Rubber cement will deteriorate over time. It dries out and will get crumbly. I prefer contact cement and a little reinforced paper towel, followed by a spritz of Krylon satin black. I've repaired a lot of speaker tears over the decades and once repaired, have never had problems.
  12. creis2

creis2

By TP you mean toilet paper?

Luckily for me, the hole is tiny. But want to make sure it will stay that way.

Hmm, what to do. So many options :(
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    The TP will act as a backer and help to hold the cement in the tear. It's easier to get a smooth repair that way instead of ending up with a ridge where the 2 sides of the tear aren't even. Rolling paper also works well for that. I've had speakers last years after doing such repairs. With just one tiny screw hole like you have, a little dab of whatever you have handy will take care of it.
  14. creis2

creis2

What would be the best stuff to use? I have almost every time of adhesive. I'm leaning towards tp and contact cement.
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    That's probably your best bet.

The rtv for me is just handy as I always have some around. It stays rubbery, but it is a bit stiffer than the speaker was originally as mentioned, though I haven't had any problems with it doing small repairs.

Yours is just a tiny poke hole and I think it might be easy to start blowing things a little out of proportion as far as which is the technically best way to repair it.

Your surround is most likely a cloth that's treated with a sort of stuff to hold it in the ribbed shape and make it like stiff cloth. That stuff will also help to hold the fibers together. It probably functions fine as is, I'd just want to put a dab of something on there to insure it won't tear any more over time and give yourself some peace of mind.

Got contact cement....use it.

When it comes to more, or larger repairs, I sometimes worry about throwing the cone off balance from adding the mass of whatever you're using to repair it to one side, so sometimes I'll put some goop on the opposite side of the cone to keep it balanced. I'm not sure how much mass you can add before that becomes an issue and I probably overthink it. With just one tiny hole like that, it wouldn't be necessary at all. Just put a little dab in the hole, that's it.
  16. creis2

creis2

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I got a whole bunch of gigs coming up, so I'll really give the speaker a good pounding.

If it tears or sounds weird, I'll just replace the driver. Beta 10's are cheap and abundant. One of the reasons I went with that driver.