Small tuners that take bass strings (Dano, Hofner, etc.)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chuck King, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

I found some old threads about this but there didn't seem to be an answer and they were all several years old, so, here goes:

I recently picked up an old Danelectro Short Horn bass that had been disassembled and was missing its tuners. I'd like to find some tuners that, ideally, can be installed without having to drill or ream out out the holes, and that will look like the originals (white plastic oval buttons). The tuners look for all the world like guitar tuners, but the posts appear to have larger holes to accommodate bass strings. (I'm assuming this since I don't have the actual tuners, nor do I have easy access to a similar bass.)

Does anyone know a source for them? In the last five or ten years there have been jillions of reissue Danelectros as well as Hofners and other violin basses sold, but finding replacement tuners seems to be hard.

If that's simply not an option, has anyone had any luck replacing the keys on small-bodied bass tuners with the white oval pieces?

2. Chuck King

Nobody? Nothing? There are an awful lot of basses out there that come with these tuners; what do people do to replace or upgrade them?

3. ChristoMephisto

ChristoMephisto

Yeah I think they were guitar tuners. Bought a Dano bass neck to convert to a bass vi way back and used some guitar tuners from Wilkinson.
    They dropped right in, so the Dano tuners are not bigger.

4. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    I ran across a couple of sets that have been sold on eBay recently. None are up right now, but that seems to be the place to watch for them to pop up in the future. Even Danguitars.com isn't carrying them anymore, so they're pretty hard to come by these days.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Geri O

Geri O

Aren't there some Gotoh tuners that have smallish posts, but are made to accomodate bass strings?

My Mexican Fender Jazz bass, made in 2000, has such tuners on it. Personally, I don't like the small post diameter, seems like it would be bad on the string, but apparently not. They work fine on my MIM bass.

7. Chuck King

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If your Dano is like mine (a 2009 Longhorn), it uses Kluson style guitar tuners. Should be the same size as traditional Klusons. Like these:

[​IMG]

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Supporting Member

I have a set of four that I took off of my Hofner available, they are not Wilkerson turners, they are whatever the Indonesians use on the Ignition. They are open geared and individual.

EDIT: Uh.. there are no ferrells present; IDK if that is because there were none or, the luthier didn't give them back.

Last edited: May 30, 2014