1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Smaller cab similar in sound to Ampeg 810

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Joebarnes, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Hey all, I have a SVT-AV and an Ampeg 810, and I love the sound together.

I do know some gigs require smaller than the 810 from a visual standpoint, so I am looking for a cab that as closely replicated the 810 sound in a smaller cab package. I don't want to do away with the SVT, so the cab has to be 2 or 4 ohm's. If it were just volume levels, I can turn the SVT/810 down and it still sounds how I want, but I am looking at a smaller cab unit that gets me as close to "that sound" as possible.

I don't want an uncoloured PA sound, so don't suggest any modern-style cabs. I want that coloured 8x10 sound in a smaller cab, be it 2x10, 2x12 or 4x10. I'd also rather not drop a grand on a secondary cab (I will still use the 810 as much as possible). Don't need tweeters, they will be off if the cab has one.

Any ideas/feedback is appreciated.

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Try the ampeg 210av. Get 2 of them and stack em.

3. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'm working on a 410 cab design for this very purpose with that very amp (or large tube amps in general), but, I'm not done yet, so you can't have one. :D

The little 210 AV cabs might work. According to our resident guru, a little bass bump brings them up to 810 voicing.

I don't know if the new 212 cabs they made for the V4 come in 2 or 4 ohms, but that general size and output level is a sweet spot for times when the 810 is just too much....visually as well as sonically.

7. SpottedBass

SpottedBass

I used to own an Ampeg svt 210AV cab (8ohm) and sat it on top of an acme low b1 (8ohm). The combination was pretty darn close. The Acme soaked up power an filled in the low lows while the 210av sealed cabinet adds the unmistakable Ampeg SVT tone which together for me was "that sound".

8. inri222

inri222

9. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

I know the 410HE is 8 ohm's so it won't work with the SVT. A 6x10 is probably still too "big" visually, so it looks like I'm down to the 2x210AV's or the new 212AV.

Thanks for the input so far. If anybody else has any ideas, let me know.

10. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

The 410he is a great cab and sounds really close to an 810e if you turn the horn down a bit. I ended up going with the 410he when i downsized from the 810e but since you specifically want to run 4 ohms I'm going to bring up a different option. Instead of getting two 210av cabs i would look for a couple 210he cabs. They pretty much have the same speakers as the 810e. The speakers in the av are a little cheaper, they still are pretty cool cabs for the money but if you can find them i think you'd be happier with a couple 210he cabs.