1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SMALLER GAUGE "G" STRING

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BYRDMAN, Dec 11, 2013.

1. BYRDMAN

BYRDMAN

whats up everyone,
    i have a set of amina's on one of my basses and although i
    love the sound and feel of these strings,i want to replace the "G" for a smaller gauge.could anyone advise me on a type/model to resolve this?

thanks in advance

byrdman
  2. Bradley Mellen

Bradley Mellen

I once combined a well-worn Spiro Weich G and D with an Anima A and E for a while (after becoming dissatisfied with the aging Weich A and E), which I thought made a surprisingly excellent combination on my bass. Don't know if just the G would work as well, but it's probably worth a try (and Spiros are useful backup strings to have around in any case). I certainly wouldn't reccomend a brand new Weich G for that combo though, as they take quite a while to mellow - if you don't already have an old one on hand I'd reccomend hunting down a used one that's been played on for 6 months or so.
  3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Corelli 370 strings have a considerably thinner gauge than many other strings, might be worth a look (relatively cheap, too!) Might be a little bright sounding, at least initially, with the Anima.