1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Smallest and lightest practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I've been wanting a Markbass Micromark (the one that's under 10lbs and single 6" driver) for a couple of years now but it's looking less and less likely - they almost never come up for sale used and they're discontinued.

So, I'm wondering if there's anything else on the market that's a similar size and weight and sounds good. Aux in socket is a must.

For bedroom playing, and maybe acoustic jams, nothing more.

If anyone knows, it will be you lot ;)

2. twbassman

twbassman

3. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

I play a ampeg ba 108 its a good little 100 dollar amp. love the sound once I got a fender jazz

4. DogBone

DogBone

^This.

A relatively large cab for an 8" driver, gets pretty loud and pretty low for a practice amp. Does the Ampeg thing well. The RCA inputs (Aux in) channel has it's own separate volume control.

Hard to beat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-ba-108-25w-1x8-bass-combo-amp

[​IMG]

$99 all day every day, and when you're ready to buy if you email forums@musiciansfriend.com and request the Talkbass member discount you could get it for even less. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

There's one for sale at guitarcenter used, item #110051054. (it looks like it has an 8 though)

7. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I bought the Phil Jones Double Four. It's been a great amp that keeps outdoing my expectations for a 10lb twin 4" speaker machine. It also has a large radiator that tunes the little box deeper so it sounds just like a big amp.

8. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

9. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

I just got a MicroMark MM801. I got it used in the classifies on TB, and while I was buying it, I was contacted by another TB member trying to sell his.

Tiny, light, and it sounds really nice for home practice and the smallest gigs.

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

12. mcarp555

mcarp555

Yamaha THR10 - very small footprint, and looks like a radio, so it's not a big ugly black cube. Fantastic guitar/bass practice amp.

13. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

14. srcTW

srcTW Supporting Member

Phil Jones Bass Cub. Incredibly light with great tone. Tracks quickly. Has aux in.

15. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

I went to a guitar show today and some dude was jammin' with a Fodera 5 string through a Phil Jones Suitcase.

The sound was insane!

The punch and volume sounded like a 210.

The B string had no flutter or strain on the speakers.

It has 4, 5" inch drivers cranking through a 200 watt amp.

VERY PRICY, but what a remarkable sound zooming from such a little box.

I was impressed.

$1200 for a practice amp is a bit steep for my wallet.

16. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

How 'bout...

Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0-8t

I don't own one, but sometimes wish I did. Meets all requirements stated in the OP: small, light, sounds good, aux in (and headphone jack), can handle acoustic jams easily.

I have the battery-powered Micro Cube Bass RX mentioned earlier in the thread. I had a wandering-minstrel gig so it was a "forced" purchase, but it has since found its place next to the bed.

Bass RX has aux in/headphone jacks, fx, modest drum machine... sound? Not audiophile quality, to be sure, but serviceable.
    Will probably busk with it at some point.

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

'nuther vote for this if it's within your budget. Insanely light and compact-I took one in a small carry-on bag for travel and had enough room for a weekend's worth of clothes....sounds superb and also makes a great ext speaker for a 'puter or phone.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I have a Hartke A15 8" 15w. Weighs about 15-20lbs.

19. djasterix

djasterix

I use an Eden EC10 for practice at my apt. Little footprint, really nice tone and at 50 watts can get loud enough...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1397478673.720294.jpg

20. sotua

sotua

21. Remyd

Remyd

For a cheapie, I really like the newer Acoustic SS amps.

I bought a B15 practice amp to jam with acoustic comrades and it actually puts out quite a bit of sound, especially for $50. Has a nice clear tone as well and a good-ish overdrive circuit. I used it to back up an acoustic guitar this weekend in a teeny-tiny venue, and it did acceptably. There's not power to spare, but as a dollars-per-audio-quality proposition, it's probably the best gear I've ever purchased.

Don't listen to people that hate on Guitar Center for no reason. Gear is gear, no matter who's marketing what. The "good" thing about the "new" Acoustic as sold by GC is that the "corporate overlords" often have very good "sales".

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B15-15W-Bass-Combo-Amp-107901472-i2497475.gc